Page 77 of 117 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

I finished (yet) another one the other day. Like the Dennis Miller book this was also from my 'personal library' yet for whatever reason I never read.

Legends, Lies & Cherished Myths of World History. The book explains how various legends, lies and cherished myths are wrong. All in all it was a quick and fun read.

CW Siege: Gambit. Not too bad.

Now I gotta figure out what to read next.

Splinter Cell: Operation Barracuda. Not a bad book. I picked this one, and several other in the series, up at the flea market. I haven't read the series in order. This might be the last one written by Raymond Benson, who was the ghost writer. The newer ones are written by someone else.

Yesterday I finished A-26 Invader Units of World War 2 by Jim Roeder. I received this from Mrs. TI7 for Christmas. Nice overview of the little hot rod that replaced (for the most part) the Douglas A-20 Havoc in the ETO, MTO, and a little bit in the PTO (the A-20 was still preferred in the Pacific by the Army Air Corps).

Quick read, under 100 pages, tons of photos and cool color plates showing the plane's various configurations, unit markings, and nose art.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City. Excellent book, though I'm not sure how they got the equally good (or better) show out of it.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I finished my last book of 2010 last night, which brings my 2010 book tally to:
    21 books read
    6299 pages (300 pages per book average)

At a glance: More bios than I normally read (8), and a lot of stuff that has been turned into movies (10), not much sci-fi (2-3) and only one book I've already read (No One Here Gets Out Alive).

01 The Lovely Bones - A. Sebold
    02 Up In The Air - W. Kirn
    03 The Accidental Billionaires - B. Mezrich
    04 The Box - R. Matheson
    05 No One Here Gets Out Alive - D. Sugarman/J. Hopkins
    06 Hiroshima - J. Hersey
    07 Quarry In The Middle - M. Collins
    08 A Simple Plan - S. Smith
    09 Prozac Nation - E. Wurtzel
    10 Dances With Wolves - M. Blake
    11 Blockade Billy - S. King
    12 The Chris Farley Show - T. Farley Jr.
    13 Killing Castro - L. Block
    14 Heat Wave - R. Castle
    15 Last Words - G. Carlin
    16 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - S. Larsson
    17 American On Purpose - C. Ferguson
    18 Star Wars: Death Troopers - J. Schreiber
    19 The Best American Comics 2007 - C. Ware (Ed.)
    20 King Kong - D.W. Lovelace
    21 Faith Of My Fathers - J. McCain

I'd like to keep the same type of pace this year. I didn't get burned out in 2010 like I did in 2008 (I didn't read much in 2009 as a result).
    First up, In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash by Jean Sheperd, otherwise known as the book that inspired A Christmas Story.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Good to know I'm not the only one who keeps track of not only titles and authors, but pages read, too.

My reading time is basically just in the summer; if I can finish the one I'm about 2/5 through now, I'll have read just two books over this winter break (back to the grind starting tomorrow), at about 600+ pages.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Good to know I'm not the only one who keeps track of not only titles and authors, but pages read, too.
    I started keeping track of which books and number of pages after I saw you doing it. I was curious as to how much I actually read. I was surprised at the number, but I'm not sure if 2010 was a good year or if I was just lucky enough to find that much to hold my interest. I've read many books where it took forever to get through because they were holding my interest.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I put in "Pittsburgh" in the search box of my local library, and it brought up a title of Our Lady of Immaculate Deception by Nancy Martin. I didn't even need to see if it would be decent; the title was enough. Turns out it was about a "sexy" (book jacket's words) Pittsburgh woman who is a single mom (caring for her possibly-pregnant daughter) who helps bothered and battered females while also dealing with a murder in town and her former flame. It was a decent read, but as I'm not the target audience, it will likely be my last of Ms. Martin's stories (further searches seem to point that her characters are just a tad anti-men).
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

currently reading the Force Unleashed II.. so far so good. finally playing the game (got it for Christmas) and I'm loving it.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks