Page 87 of 117 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

But while I can't keep up the running I once did in my younger and more vulnerable days, my reading keeping up is more, uh, good? After being recommended by a few colleagues before, I finally got around to Steinbeck's East of Eden. I put it in my top three (I'll pass on a full Top 10 LIST right now... blasphemy, I know) JS books I've ever read (Grapes of Wrath still #1, and Travels With Charley at #2). Probably the best characterization he's done, and among his best dialogue. It's long (just over 600 pgs.) but one of those books that reads quickly (it only took me 12 days, including schoolwork grading and a weekend trip as interruptions). I am closer to 900 total books in life read (I think this makes 889), but I don't see there being much reading time upcoming.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    ... I am closer to 900 total books in life read (I think this makes 889)..
    What?!?! You don't have a list of all the books you've read?

Not in Word format; it's on my word processor. In alphabetical order by author's last name. With book titles also alphabetical. In four separate files (A-E, F-K, L-S, T-Z). With a subtotal of Star Wars books. And yes, E of E did make #889.

Why do you ask?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Currently reading "Economic Facts and Fallacies" by one of the most brilliant scholars of our time, Thomas Sowell.
    May the force be with you.

The soon-to-be-released film Hugo was based in part on the YA book The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. It is 550+ pages in length, but I'd say more than half the pages are drawings or copies of photos, so it's a very fast read. It's a really nice story, and I hope the film holds close to the plot of the book (because if so, it'll be great to follow AND make a ton o' cash). I also like the footnotes at the end, to get kids (and we older kids ) to learn more about the non-fiction aspects of this fictionalization of famous early film pioneer Georges Melies.

Currently reading "Back To Work: Why We Need Smart Government For A Strong Economy" by Bill (Slick Willie) Clinton.
    May the force be with you.

After several failed attempts I finally knocked out another book this one was Destination Truth: Memoirs of a Monster Hunter by Josh Gates from the SyFy show Destination Truth. I'm not familar with Josh or the show but it was a fun, quick read...

Two Steinbecks: Burning Bright and Winter of Our Discontent. I won't commit blasphemy and say they weren't good, but I will say they weren't as Steinbeck-y as I've read before. I usually want to read on; these, not always the case.

But I am creeping closer to 900 books read. Not this week. All-time.

Himmler's War by Robert Conroy. In this book of alternate history Hitler is killed in a freak bombing by an American B-17 in June of 1944 and Himmler takes over running Germany. It was an enjoyable read although imho if Hitler would have been killed I think everything would have gone to hell, I don't think Germany could have continued along as it did in the novel. Still, if you like alt. history its a decent read.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Himmler's War by Robert Conroy. In this book of alternate history Hitler is killed in a freak bombing by an American B-17 in June of 1944 and Himmler takes over running Germany. It was an enjoyable read although imho if Hitler would have been killed I think everything would have gone to hell, I don't think Germany could have continued along as it did in the novel. Still, if you like alt. history its a decent read.
    I might have to check that one out.

Whether or not Hitler's death would shorten or lengthen the war is still a topic that's debated/discussed to this day.