Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disney Turns Star Wars Comic License over to Marvel in 2015

Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well, there you have it. Hopefully they have some talented folks on deck for the coming Marvel series with lots of big ideas to take Star Wars comics in a new direction, something that speaks of the Marvel brand.

Aye, I was just trying to post this. As you mentioned, it's not terribly unexpected. I'm certainly no huge fan of the comics, but hopefully this will turn out to be a good move - presumably it will be easier to keep everything in line story-wise now that it's all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Aye, I was just trying to post this. As you mentioned, it's not terribly unexpected. I'm certainly no huge fan of the comics, but hopefully this will turn out to be a good move - presumably it will be easier to keep everything in line story-wise now that it's all together.
    I saw your article getting worked on in the "not published" section just after I finished posting mine public. When I got the email press release from Lucasfilm I didn't even wait for the .DOC file to open, I opened a tab here and started writing, then dropped in the release when it finished. Pretty big deal stuff, one presumably will ask what happens to 24 years of Dark Horse storytelling.

The nice thing is that Marvel gets to start with the new movie, kind of a re-genesis of how they started on ANH way back in the day.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

So, we'll have "main" series of:
    SW (Marvel) 1977
    SW (Dark Horse) 1999
    SW (Dark Horse) 2013
    SW (Marvel) 2015

Not counting the mini series, spinoffs, one-shots, trade paperbacks, et al. that have "Star Wars" before their titles. I think I like this?

p.s. Check out darkhorse.com for their view of this news.

I'm worried. I'll be honest. This I'd not the same Marvel Comics that published the original series, or that essentially made Transformers and G.I. Joe. The current Marvel botches licensed comics. Boom! Studios was doing amazing things with licensed Disney comics, particularly Muppets. Then Marvel took them over, and they died instantly.

Just make sure you get any trade paperbacks before 2015. Chances are those will go out of print and not be re-released.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I saw your article getting worked on in the "not published" section just after I finished posting mine public. When I got the email press release from Lucasfilm I didn't even wait for the .DOC file to open, I opened a tab here and started writing, then dropped in the release when it finished.
    I'm just glad one of us was able to get the article posted.

Pretty big deal stuff, one presumably will ask what happens to 24 years of Dark Horse storytelling.
    Between this happening and Del Rey's upcoming SW works reportedly being in limbo, I bet it won't be long until the novel publishing gets folded in as well. I think this makes it even more safe to assume that the pre-existing EU will be largely thrown out, with some things staying as they are or sprinkled in here and there, or adapted similar to how it was on TCW. I also assume that the story group that's ensuring continuity between the new films and Star Wars Rebels (and the six current films and TCW) will be involved in planning the Marvel SW stories - it would be silly if they weren't, since that's kind of their whole point.

The nice thing is that Marvel gets to start with the new movie, kind of a re-genesis of how they started on ANH way back in the day.
    I wonder if they'll largely stick to publishing comics that tie in more directly with the existing films, new films, and Rebels, so as not to step on the areas that future films or shows will want to explore. The company already has a "movies first, then TV, then everything else" mentality as far as continuity goes, but they should probably hammer home the idea that the movies and show are most important so that people don't get their panties in such a bunch when the EU gets changed by on-screen material.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    I'm worried. I'll be honest. This I'd not the same Marvel Comics that published the original series, or that essentially made Transformers and G.I. Joe. The current Marvel botches licensed comics. Boom! Studios was doing amazing things with licensed Disney comics, particularly Muppets. Then Marvel took them over, and they died instantly.
    Disney kind of acquired the Muppets franchise and then didn't do anything with it for a long time, didn't they? Clearly they're not repeating that with Star Wars. And I don't think you or I can honestly say that Dark Horse has been "doing amazing things" with the SW license lately.

As far as picking up trade paperbacks - I have to think they'll still be around in stores, if not necessarily still being printed. Bookstores and comic stores typically have items long after they've been published. I do still want a few stories (the remaining DH Clone Wars collections I don't yet have, and Crimson Empire), but again, I've never been a comics fan so I guess I'm not that qualified to talk about this in the first place other than what I've observed.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Mmmm.... potential Omnibus volumes of the original Star Wars comics.

I'm looking forward to see what Marvel does with the property. It's a potential refreshing change.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I'm kind of surprised that this is actually news. I thought this was already confirmed some time back.

Either way, I've never really been much of a fan of anything Dark Horse did with their Star Wars comics. That's not to say I was a fan of the Marvel stuff either.

For me, Star Wars and comic books have NEVER been a good mix; but I'm interested to see what Marvel tries to do to inject some new life into the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Disney kind of acquired the Muppets franchise and then didn't do anything with it for a long time, didn't they? Clearly they're not repeating that with Star Wars. And I don't think you or I can honestly say that Dark Horse has been "doing amazing things" with the SW license lately.

As far as picking up trade paperbacks - I have to think they'll still be around in stores, if not necessarily still being printed. Bookstores and comic stores typically have items long after they've been published. I do still want a few stories (the remaining DH Clone Wars collections I don't yet have, and Crimson Empire), but again, I've never been a comics fan so I guess I'm not that qualified to talk about this in the first place other than what I've observed.
    Marvel has, to my knowledge, never reprinted any of the Muppets comics collections, and only a couple of the other Disney collections from Boom! IIRC, they did exactly one Muppets miniseries after the acquisition, and it was one that was already in the bag and ready to be published.

(In case you're wondering, this isn't me saying, "Oh, I loved the Muppets and Marvel killed them!" The series was one of the most highly-regarded in the field, and one of the few all-ages comics that used established characters. It sold well, it reviewed well, it even racked up awards. So it would seem logical to keep it going, or at least keep the older stuff available.)

Marvel really doesn't have the best history, for such a huge company that claims to see trade paperbacks as one of the main methods of future reading, of keeping almost any of their collections in print for very long, either. Things like the Simonson Thor Omnibus or X-Statix Omnibus, which would have a huge potential readership, but cost so much they wouldn't be an impulse buy for most people, are out of print within a few months.

Dark Horse has always been spotty with SW, to be honest, but at least I know I can find collections (with only a few exceptions) if I want them. Marvel, though, even with cross-company crossovers where someone else has input of some sort, doesn't keep them in production very long. (It's no coincidence that the only hole in my collection of IDW Transformers paperbacks is the Avengers crossover, because it's impossible to find for even cover price (and I know from the previews and reviews that it's not worth half that).)

Trying to think of other licensed stuff Marvel's handled recently.... There was nothing from Incredibles or any of the other Pixar properties after the transfer. They've got to be sitting on a gold mine with the old Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge comics (which are universally regarded as some of the best comics ever), which they haven't collected (though I think they may have farmed out collections to someone else). John Carter died with the movie, though comics would've been an easy, inexpensive way to show what Andrew Stanton had for the other films that will obviously never be made now.

Only other thing I can think of that's a licensed Marvel comic from the past few years would be the Dark Tower adaptations, which came out to huge sales and fanfare, then died a slow death and never wrapped up properly.

Let me stress I'm not complaining or griping about them getting the license back. I just have no faith that they'll do it right, since, more and more, both Marvel (and DC, for that matter) seem more interested in licensing its own characters than in making comics with them, much less other characters that aren't owned by Marvel proper.
    Tommy, close your eyes.