Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Re: Reading!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    I'm currently reading Memoirs of a Geisha. This seems to be another excellent book thus far.
    A friend of mind read Memoirs of a Geisha and she loved it, I believe it is going to come out as a movie in November.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    Those are some good choices there Rocketboy! What do you think of Confessions? It seems hard to belive that its true but then again??? Johnny Got His Gun nice bedtime reading huhh? Johnny is probably one of the most messed up books I have ever read. If you want to go up in time a bit Slaughterhouse Five is another nice bedtime reader.
    Confessions... was great read. I want to believe Bariss, because he really makes it seem plausible, but on the other had, it was guy from the flippin' Gong Show!
    Johnny... was so real life scary. It was indeed messed up.
    I've read Slaughterhouse Five. Another great one. A bit hard to follow initially, IIRC.
    A memoir by David K. Webster called Parachute Infantry. Mr. Webster was a Screaming Eagle, he was in the 101st Airborne during WW II and this tells his tale (he was one of the characters in the Band of Brothers mini-series).
    Loved B.O.B. (the miniseries - haven't read the book...yet). I may have to check that one out.
    Also on my can't wait for list is Band of Brothers by Alexander Kent who has written a series based during the era of tall ships, if you like Master and Commander then you'd like this series.
    Didn't Ambrosewrite that? Or is it another book with the same name?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Forgot to mention a few others...

Kevin Smith's Silent Bob Speaks - a collection of the writer/director's various articles from the past few years. You know a guy can tell a good story when he talks about his poop and makes it interesting. He also rants about thing like Spider-Man, his hatred for "Greasy" Reese Witherspoon, the making of "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back," his hetero love affair with Ben Affleck, lap dances, and more.

Not so sure they count as books, but I read a few of the "Sin City" graphic novels (The Hard Goodbye and Booze, Broads, & Bullets). Still ticked I didn't get a chance to see the movie...
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    Didn't Ambrose write that? Or is it another book with the same name?
    You are correct on both accounts, Amrose (who on the whole I think isn't worth the hype) wrote Band of Brothers about Easy Company of the 506 PIR, 101st Airborne Div. during WW II. This other Band of Brothers is by a different guy who writes historical fiction and is set during the tall ship era. I think this one will be just prior to the American War of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by jjreason
    A friend recommended Chuck Pahlaniuk (sp?), who wrote "Fight Club", so I checked that book out. It's quite good, and quite faithful to the movie .
    I read Fight Club, Choke, Lullaby, Invisible Monsters and Diary last summer. I think I liked Choke the best (only because the movie ruined Fight Club) but they were all interesting (albeit wierd) reads.

Right now I am reading "Squandered Victory" by Larry Diamond - a book about the US in Iraq.
    I just finished "War of the Worlds" by H.G. Wells because I'd never read it before
    and "Hound of the Baskervilles" by Arthur Conan Doyle because I had never read that before either.

While camping I read 2 books and got a loittle more than half way through a third.

Star Wars Revenge of the Sith novelization. Parts of it are better than the movie (Anakin's seduction to the dark side, for example). And there were a few mentions of expanded universe stuff that shouldn't have been in there, IMO (how many besides hardcore fans know who Ventress is?).

Found a copy of Gregory McDonald's Flecth Won. Good, funny, fast paced stuff. I definitely see Kevin Smith doing this book as a movie.

About half way through Iris Chang's The Rape of Nanking. In December 1937 the Japanese army invaded the Chinese city of Nanking and went ****ing berzerk. In as little as six weeks, they brutally murdered an estimated 300,000 Chinese people. In the process of the killing, they savagely raped as many women as they could find (and age didn't matter), looted and burned much of the city to the ground. The Japanese soldiers had fun doing it too. They made up games with the killing, such as seeing how many can they behead in an hour or how fast can they kill 100 people. Sick, disturbing, and all too real.
    DOMINATE!

Others read so far:

- The Ways of White Folks Langston Hughes
    - Harry Potter & the H-B Prince JK Rowling (a little small press, cult following book )
    - Ishmael Daniel Quinn (a very interesting dialogue about life and the people of the world)
    Currently reading:
    - The Story of B Daniel Quinn (see above)
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Re: Reading! (did I mention that I love to read?)

A few more reads...

My Ishamel Daniel Quinn (a different version of the very interesting dialogue about life and the people of the world; it's the "end" of that series of stories)
    O Pioneers! Willa Cather
    That puts my book count at 20, roughly 4900 pages... and counting!

Cuurently starting A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce. I can't remember if I've read the entire book before (I know I was tested on parts of it in a high school class). Need to remind myself of Joyce's style before I tackle his Finnegan's Wake; Joseph Campbell was married to this book, I believe, since he wrote about it, oh I'd say maybe ONE-HUNDRED MEEELLION TIMES!
    Also trying to find a library with a decent copy of The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Skikibu, possibly the world's first true novel, written by a Japanese woman about 800 years ago, I think.

Here are a few more I've finished...
    The Rain God Arturo Islas (an interesting Mexican-American story of culture clashing and maturing)
    The Wedding Dress Carrie Young (a collection of stories about Norwegian settlers in the Dakotas)
    The Poorhouse Fair John Updike (my first Updike read, his first novel; a weird 1984 meets Driving Miss Daisy story)
    Dark Nest I: The Joiner King Troy Denning (read my review of it in its own thread here).

I think that puts me at 25 books at around 6300 pages this summer. My goal is always to reach at least 20 in the summer (c'mon! it's almost 3 months worth of "free time" off ). BTW, I keep a list (anyone who knows me, knows that "Bel-Cam" is an anagram for "list maker" ) of all the books I've ever read, at least as many as I can recall or find proof (minus comic books, magazines, trivia books, really short books, or kids picture books). It's at 560 books, of which 193 are Star Wars ones. And I hope to keep it growing!

Bookos I read a long time ago and recommend... My favorite book is Autobiography of Malcolm X. Reading about his change from criminal to militant firebrand, to the path of peace is amazing. Reading about his experiences in Egypt and Mecca (I think it was Mecca), and his realization of what Islam is really about was very touching. Then, reading the epilogue about his assassination and funeral brought tears to my eyes.

After seeing "Bram Stokers Dracula" at the movies I wanted to erad the book, and it was great.

Currently reading the newest SW book - Joiner King.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars