Page 3 of 116 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Re: Reading!

I finished last night the new Harry Turtledove book "Drive to the East" another great alternate history novel. Sadly my reading 'list' has been mighty thin I just can't get into books this summer, although I do have my eye on a biography on Hank Greenberg.

I stopped The Joiner King half way through to read Huck Finn for school.. I be done with that on Thursday, and I still have to read Ethan Frome..
    hurray for birthdays!

http://www.myspace.com/MattGush

I recently finishd Sarah Vowel's Take the Canoli, more of her short essays and pieces from NPR in print. Pretty good and less political that the other one of hers I was reading.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Well, all the lines in airports are great for reading, so after a brief vacation, I have 4 more to add to the list...

Last of the Jedi #2: Dark Warning Jude Watson (not as good as the really good #1)
    Because Writing Matters Carl Nagin (a teacher training book)
    Columbus in the Americas William Least-Heat Moon (a concise look at the "discoverer" of the New World
    Weird Tales From Shakespeare Katharine Kerr & Martin Greenberg (an anthology of Shakespeare plays in new contexts and settings; pretty cool)

So that's 29 books, around 7000 pages. More?
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    Last of the Jedi #2: Dark Warning Jude Watson (not as good as the really good #1)
    Is that out already?
    The first one was a fairly entertaining read, but from the description I read about #3, it sounds like the series won't be about Obi-Wan, but will follow the new former Jedi introduced in #1, which will probably stop me from buying them.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    Is that out already?
    The first one was a fairly entertaining read, but from the description I read about #3, it sounds like the series won't be about Obi-Wan, but will follow the new former Jedi introduced in #1, which will probably stop me from buying them.
    It was released in late July. The story (without giving away any spoilers) has Obi-Wan having to decide if he'll do things around the galaxy or stay on Tatooine to protect Luke, but there are some Jedi who weren't killed in the Order #66 purge, so the series could revolve around them, I guess. The parts I'm interested in are when Qui-Gon's voice is heard (some are flashbacks, but others are current conversations between he as a ghost and Obi-Wan).
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

July, huh? Wow, I thought it was slated for September. I didn't see the first one until August (after the initial April oops release).
    I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
    DOMINATE!

I get the impression the release dates for these LOTJ books are just suggestions. Book I came out early in some areas, too.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I thought LOTJ #2 was going to come out in September too. Wow,I'm behind

I just finished reading Esperanza Rising.Its more of a "young adult" book but excellent historical fiction of migrant workers in the Great Depression.Sad book in all really,but has a great message at the end to never give up.
    Last edited by InsaneJediGirl; 09-05-2005 at 08:27 PM.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

As young Dawn with finger tips of rose touched the world yesterday I finished reading Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey. The translation, by Robert Fitzgerald, was a traditional one, keeping to the original verse and form (or as is possible in English). The translator used archaic spellings for people and places (Akhilleus/Achilles, Ilion/Troy, Aias/Ajax, Kyklops/Cyclops) but I got used to it.

I had forgotten that the The Iliad, a chronicle of the Trojan War, takes place in the tenth and final year of the siege and ends with the death of Hektor. The Trojan Horse, the fall of the city, and the fates of the other famous Greek fighters, are mentioned in The Odyssey.

I started on a collection of plays by Sophocles last night: Antigone, Oedipus the King, and Oedipus at Colonus. I also grabbed a copy of Fitzgerald's translation of Virgil's The Aeneid at the library too.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)