Page 4 of 119 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Re: Reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai
    I had forgotten that the The Iliad, a chronicle of the Trojan War, takes place in the tenth and final year of the siege and ends with the death of Hektor. The Trojan Horse, the fall of the city, and the fates of the other famous Greek fighters, are mentioned in The Odyssey.
    Aw jeez, that for the flippin' spoiler warning!

I haven't had a whole lot of time to read as oflate, but on my breaks at work, I struggling...errr...working through The Approaching Storm. I think I'm on the last chapter (thank the maker).
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Finished "The Approaching Storm" a few days after the last post.
    Boy did that ever suck.
    Reminded me why 95% of EU sucks.

Finished "Jurassic Park" the other day. Great book. Better than the movie, which I re-watched after finishing the book, and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. And te kids were just as annoying in the book as they were in the movie.

Now reading "December 6" by Martin Cruz Smith. Only 35-40 pages in, but so far so good.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I'm in the middle of Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. Like every other book by him I've read, it's a great read, but to try to explain it would pretty much entail quoting the entire novel.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

My favourite books by genre:

Sci-Fi:

The Mars trilogy - Kim Stanley Robinson

Altered Carbon/Broken Angels/Woken Furies - Richard Morgan

Voyage - Stephen Baxter

Heir to the Empire/Dark Forces Rising/The Last Command - Timothy Zahn

Political:

No Safe Place/Protect and Defend/Balance of Power - Richard North Patterson

Historical:

Gates of Fire/Tides of War/Alexander - Steven Pressfield

Gates of Rome/Death of Kings/Field of Swords - Conn Iggulden

Pride of Carthage: A novel of Hannibal - David Anthony Durham

Eagle in the Snow - Wallace Breem

Mystery/thriller:

Anything be Micheal Connelly or Jeffery Deaver

Legal :

Anything by Richard North Patterson

Graphic Novels:

Preacher - Garth Ennis

Transmetropolitan - Warren Ellis

Watchmen - Alan Moore

Hellblazer -various

Least favourite author and novel :

Dan Brown - Da Vinci Code
    I f**king hate that novel its everywhere, whenever I use the train it's gauranteed there'll be at least fifteen people reading it in my carraige alone all hunched over their seats devouring it like pod people . Wake up people the Da Vinci Code is the biggest load of over hyped Sh*te ever to be published in 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz
    Least favourite author and novel :

Dan Brown - Da Vinci Code
    I f**king hate that novel its everywhere, whenever I use the train it's gauranteed there'll be at least fifteen people reading it in my carraige alone all hunched over their seats devouring it like pod people . Wake up people the Da Vinci Code is the biggest load of over hyped Sh*te ever to be published in 2000 years.
    Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

I'm actually with you on this one. I tried reading it to see what the big deal was, and it was so poorly written, I couldn't get through the first twenty pages. The supposedly shocking theories he put forth have been around for centuries.

I'd rather watch Jurassic Park III again than finish that piece of tripe.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I really liked The Da Vinci Code. Though it wasn't the first exposure I've had to that interpretation of the Grail legend, I still thought it was interesting. I'm not looking forward to the film version though.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

El Chuxter I'm actually with you on this one.
    Thank god I'm not alone

El Chuxter I tried reading it to see what the big deal was, and it was so poorly written.
    Gullible Sh*te that I am I went out and bought both this and his other one Angel & Demons based on the hype(more money then sense me). Imagine my dismay when I discover it's written by a complete hack probably with the use of a writing by the numbers self help manual.

El Chuxter I couldn't get through the first twenty pages. The supposedly shocking theories he put forth have been around for centuries.
    Given that I had already spent my hard earned cash (ok maybe hard would be pushing it) I some how pushed on past page twenty past the cliched character introduction and onto the transparent made for movie cat and mouse set piece set In the Louvre .Now quite how the cat never caught the mouse I'll never know seen as they seemed to stop every five minutes to study a painting and have the professor lecture his lady friend and the reader for about thirty pages at a time. Such was the length of these lecture's that I was nearly half way through the book and they still hadn't left the bloody Louvre. It was at this point that I just said money be damned I've wasted enough time on this tripe and threw it away, if I wanted lecture's I'd be in college.

I guess I'll have to step in the voice of reason ( kidding). The DaVinci Code was one of the best reads I've had in a while. I was not "shocked" by the theories, but the pacing was excellent. Were there some extended passages of extreme details? Yes. But the chapters weren't any longer than, what, 5 or 6 pages? That's concise writing; so what if that's semi-scripted. I don't know if I truly felt a closeness to the characters, by plot-wise and structurally, it was a great book, IMHO.
    "That's what Sheev said."

I just finished The Battle of Corrin by Herbert and Anderson. I've always liked the Dune series.

Right now, I'm half way through Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War by Robert Massie. If you like history, I recommend this one highly, but be forewarned: there is a second volume - Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany, and the Winning of the Great War at Sea. About 1700 pages total.

I don't have anything on the agenda after that. Yet.
    43 muscles to frown, 17 muscles to smile, but not one single muscle to sit here with a dumb look on my face. Now we're talking efficiency.

I was burned out on epic poetry after finishing the books and plays mentioned in my last post (The Iliad, The Odyssey, Virgil's The Aeneid, Sophocles' plays Antigone, Oedipus the King, and Oedipus at Colonus).

Around Thanksgiving I flew through all six Harry Potter books in a whirlwind two week period and had pretty good time doing that. Rowling must place some enchantment on her books because I simply could not put them down. I can't wait for the last volume now.

I read the epic Beowulf around Christmas time in an interesting bilingual translation by Irish poet Seamus Heaney. The modern English translation of the poem is presented side by side with the original Old English manuscript. It's amazing how much the English language has evolved in a thousand years. I recognized a few words in the OE script still in use in modern English and German, but most of the words were alien to me.

I most recently finished Dante's The Divine Comedy, which details the author's guided tour through Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven.

Needing something a little lighter, I picked up Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn at the library last week.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)