Page 8 of 117 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Lessee... after finishing Twain's Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, I read several SW EU titles: Luceno's Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, Zahn's Outbound Flight, and Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy: Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, & Champions of the Force.

Next was Stephen King's Cell, a rather unsatisfying tale. I thought The Stand much better.

I also read H.G. Well's The War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, & The Invisible Man, before heading into the deep with Peter Benchley's Jaws. The movie strays somewhat from the original novel so it might be worth a read if you liked the film.

Next up was historian David McCullough's 1776, detailing the tumultous year in American history from the siege of Boston to Independence to Washington's daring attacks at Trenton and Princeton.

After that I read Michael Crichton's Timeline and Sphere, both of which have been adapted into films. I preferred Timeline's 14th century time-travelling historians to Sphere's group of boring scientists who investigate a crashed American spacecraft from the future out in the Pacific.

I just finished Robert Harris' Fatherland, a political thriller set in 1964 Nazi Germany. If you're a fan of alternate history and find Nazis endlessly fascinating, then you might check this one out.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai
    I just finished Robert Harris' Fatherland, a political thriller set in 1964 Nazi Germany. If you're a fan of alternate history and find Nazis endlessly fascinating, then you might check this one out.
    I reread Fatherland just recently. Excellent book. If you haven't read Harris's Enigma, I highly recommend it, too. A WWII thriller set in England and involving the Bechley Park code breakers.

I'm reading Heir to the Empire at the gym. Second time for that one, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I finished The Accident by Elie Wiesel (Holocaust survivor, wrote Night, that Oprah featured on her show), which is semi-non-fictional. Not bad.

Am currently reading something by the guy who wrote All I Ever Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten that's okay; kind of Chicken Soup For the Soul-esque to me.

I'm impatiently waiting for Legacy: Betrayal to get returned to the library. (to whomever has it out, it's due in today! ).
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I'm reading a big arse World War II day by day book. I like the way it's written because the days are presented as a newspaper article yet it gives the facts and kinda alludes to what really happened and some behind the scenes stuff.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OC47150
    I reread Fatherland just recently. Excellent book. If you haven't read Harris's Enigma, I highly recommend it, too. A WWII thriller set in England and involving the Bechley Park code breakers.
    I have also read Fatherland and thought it was pretty good as well. Thanks for the tip on Enigma I'll look into that one.

The last two summers, I've read at least 28 books each, and at least 5000 pages (for those who don't know me, I loooooove keeping track of things via lists), so I'm on my way with three and 600.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten and Maybe (Maybe Not) by Robert Fulghum. They're peppy, positive stories of life that people need to remind themselves of every so often. Not bad, easy reads.

The Dharma of Star Wars by Matthew Bortolin. Very heavy on the Buddhism aspect, for obvious reasons. I actually noted about 7 editing errors (including referencing a line from AOTC and listing it as TPM) and the guy really dislikes Jar Jar and the Prequels. It was okay, but I don't think I'll be shaving my head and wearing safron robes anything soon.

Am starting The Philosophy of Star Wars, but I'd like to begin Legacy: Betrayal if the person who STILL HASN'T RETURNED IT TO THE LIBRARY ON TIME does so. This might almost make me consider possibly thinking about wondering if I should actually buy the book. Nah.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I'm reading a few books right now.

Forever Odd by Dean Koontz - actually been reading to for a while now. I'll pick it up a few times every now and then. It seems to drag on at times and, so far, it's not as good as the first one.

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk - about half way through. A bit disappointed after the great things I read about it. I shouldn't be too surprised though, since I hated Fight Club (the movie).

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon - Just started this one. I read a newsbit about Natalie Portman may be in a movie version of this and read up on what it was about. Sounded pretty good: A Jew that seeks refuge in the US in 1939 hooks up with his cousin to create a hit comic, The Escapist. It's a Pulitzer Preize winner and at 600+ pages it could take me a few weeks.

Jarhead by Anthony Swofford - Already read it once, but I picked it up for $5 hardcover and will probably read it again after I finish what I have on my plate.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Kavalier and Clay's a good one. Hadn't heard about Nat being in the film version.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Finished The Da Vinci Code and started Christine by Stephen King.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!