Page 10 of 118 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    I was actually considering earlier asking Slick if he (or "you" if this is Slicker reading) bought into the theory that, had Hitler's career as an artist not totally crashed and burned, World War II would either not have happened or been a very, very different conflict.
    If he had become a full fledged good artist (he could draw buildings with some skill but his human forms were very pathetic) I do indeed believe that the war would never have started. I've read in more than one book that his burning hatred for the Jews stemmed in good part from the head of the art college he applied for. He turned Hitler down and that is what some think started him down the dark path. Even during the war most of his close friends were architects and artists. He even went so far as to keep most artists out of the armed forces even during the last hellish years when every man, and boy, was needed.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    Those are two good SW books, Banthaholic, although I preferred the Yoda novel better. You will find that O.F. may leave more questions unanswered than cleared up (I won't spolierize it for you, but there is a thread in this section you can check or reply to when you're done).
    I'm really excited for this one. The Zahn books got me restarted again in SW back in '93. I'll definitely check out that thread (when I finish the book of course).
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine

Maybe we should move the Hitler discussion to the RP forums. In any case, I am reading "Horus Rising" by Dan Abnett, and a book on Tsar Nicholas, "The Last Tsar" just now.

And, as for Hitler (before the move), I disagree. As noted above, Hitler tapped into popular sentiment more than he created them. There was tremendous anger in Germany following Versailles. And, removing Hitler would not change the complacency of 1930s Europe as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker
    (he could draw buildings with some skill but his human forms were very pathetic)
    Pfffft! What do you know about art?

I saw the movie "Max."
    It was totally John Cusack's fault.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    Pfffft! What do you know about art?
    The only thing I know about Art is "Nachos? Hot dogs are better"
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I just finished two, If Life is a Bowl of Cherries-What I am I Doing in the Pits? by Erma Bombeck (a humorist from the 70s and 80s, I'd heard of this and just wanted to check it out... it's "mother" and "getting older" humor, but as one who had a mother and knew people getting older it's still a chuckle) and Wicked by Gregory Maguire (not anything like I'd heard the musical was about, not bad but not really good though).
    "That's what Sheev said."

Thanks for the tip to read Enigma (I forget who mentioned it) once I started reading it the pages just flew by.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    Thanks for the tip to read Enigma (I forget who mentioned it) once I started reading it the pages just flew by.
    You're welcome! Harris has a book out about the space race set in the 50s or 60s that I have at home but haven't read.

I finished the second MedStar: Battle Surgeons book. Interesting, but it didn't move as quickly as the first one.

I borrowed Operatives, Spies, and Saboteurs : The Unknown Story of the Men and Women of World War II's OSS by Patrick K. O'Donnell from a friend and finished it in a week. Great book for the WWII spy buffs.

Currently reading Drink with the Devil by Jack Higgins. He's an old stand-by for me. Quick, easy reads. Fast dialogue. I should finish it in a night or two. Then I think I'll re-read The Eagle Has Landed.

Finished the 5th Last of the Jedi (fast reads are often good, this one's not too bad, but Watson has done better) and Pride and Pejudice (finally got around to reading this one, it was slllllllloooooooowwwwww getting started, but by the 2/3 mark it was pretty good). Will start Trojan Odyssey by Clive Cussler next, on a recommendation of a friend.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by OC47150
    You're welcome! Harris has a book out about the space race set in the 50s or 60s that I have at home but haven't read.
    I started another Harris book, this one deals with the death of Stalin. I read maybe 40 pages and I just couldn't get into it so I returned it to the library. I'm interested in Harris' book called "Selling Hitler" which is non fiction.