Page 11 of 118 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

With all the talk of historical and military books out there, I want to read The Art of War, but my local libraries all have had their copies out for a long time. Should that be a red flag in the Patriot Act surveillance? (j/k, really US govt, I was just kidding)
    "That's what Sheev said."

Speaking of "war" books my most recent read is "Life and Death of Adolf Hitler" by Robert Payne. It's a good book but he borrows very heavily from Shirers Rise and Fall.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I started and am about half way through "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader." So far, not too bad. The Vader stuff is easily the best parts. The Jedi in the book are fairly boring.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

"Regrets, I've [read] a few..."

Here are the recent reads I've read...

Nothing's Sacred by Lewis Black. I know of his "irreverent" comedy, and his autobiography supports that attitude, but the title says it all. Ugh, not funny to me.

SW On Trial by David Brin & Matthew Stover (with a middle name now). I met the author (Brin) standing in line at this year's Comic-Con, but overall it was a just-okay read, occasionally funny and sometimes thought-provoking.

Shadow Moon and Shadow Dawn by Chris Claremont and George Lucas. These are the first 2 parts of the trilogy "from two of the most celebrated imaginations of our time," and I am only finishing the third one because I'm 2/3 of the way there. It continues the story from Willow, but I am uninterested in how the characters live/die/react, nor how the kingdom is saved/destroyed/forever changed. Boooo-ring. Quite disappointing.

Currently reading Christine by Stephen King, The Last Vampire Series by Christopher Pike, and the 250+ Spectacular Spider-Man comics I won on eBay.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

I tried reading that Shadow whatever mess years ago. I couldn't get through the first one. When you start by killing all but the main character, and change his name, it seems like you may as well just create a new universe.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    I tried reading that Shadow whatever mess years ago. I couldn't get through the first one. When you start by killing all but the main character, and change his name, it seems like you may as well just create a new universe.
    (Bel-Cam hooks himself up to electro-shock device)

BBZZZTT!!!!

(Bel-Cam takes happy, feel-better pills)

GULP! UUUMM!

(Bel-Cam attends positive thinking and empowerment seminar)

WHOO-HOO!! YEAH!! I CAN DO IT!!

Ahhhhh! And when I've finished this awesomely great trilogy with exceptional characterization and smooth, easily transitioned plotlines, I will tell you all how excellent it turns out!

Wait. That statement just ended with a preposition... that means it's bad. Oh no...

I just started reading a WWI day-by-day book again. I finished it last night but started reading it again at work this morning to kinda better absorb the info in it.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I did something I seldom do with reading. I started other books before I finished one. While still laboring through the third in the Shadow War trilogy (now almost 300 pages in), I read:

Carrie by Stephen King. I really liked it; it even made me a tad uneasy going to bed after reading it, even though I knew the basic story ending from the movie shots I'd seen (haven't seen the entire movie all the way through).

I wanted to read my first Louis L'Amour book, and when checking the shelf at the library, what title jumped out at me?... Lando. It was good. I may read some more L'L's later, since they're short and easy to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    I did something I seldom do with reading. I started other books before I finished one.
    I do that all the time. Sometimes you have to.

I'm still on my Jack Higgins kick. Rereading [I]The Eagle Has Landed.[I] I read if for the first time about 10 years ago. Boy, there's a lot of little sub-elements I've forgotten about.

Going to read the sequel next, The Eagle Has Flown.
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 08-05-2006 at 10:05 AM.