Page 13 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Sry- I meant Orwell's 1984.

As for P&P.. I was like eh. It couldve been a lot more focused and shorter.
    hurray for birthdays!

http://www.myspace.com/MattGush

I watched Enigma last night, its based on the Robert Harris book we talked about a few pages ago. If you have yet to see it DON'T BOTHER! It butchers the book. Two thumbs down from JJB.

Quote Originally Posted by mastermatt24 View Post
    Sry- I meant Orwell's 1984.

As for P&P.. I was like eh. It couldve been a lot more focused and shorter.
    I was j/k-ing... if there are other '84 books, I wasn't aware of them. And I agree about the Pride and P. comment, too.

Read another Louis L'Amour: The Lonely Men. I have really enjoyed the 2 I've read so far. It's back to the end-of-the-book-wraps-it-up style, sometimes on the last couple of pages even.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Finished Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden. Well-researched, detailed description of a sad moment... I had a hard time getting through the field medic parts (graphic and empathetic) and you just wanted to grab some people (they're not "characters" in a non-fiction account) and tell them "do something!" Then, you want to shake some of their hands and say "thank you." A good book; there's now a "war" book on my list.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Finished Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden. Well-researched, detailed description of a sad moment... I had a hard time getting through the field medic parts (graphic and empathetic) and you just wanted to grab some people (they're not "characters" in a non-fiction account) and tell them "do something!" Then, you want to shake some of their hands and say "thank you." A good book; there's now a "war" book on my list.
    Agreed.
    I love BHD.
    Incredible book, but almost too detailed in some parts.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Currently reading Marvel Masterworks Amazing Spider-Man Volume 6.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Bowden has a book called Killing Pablo, the hunt for Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar. Same detail used in BHD is in Killing Pablo. , and gives an insight as to what the government is capable of when it comes to spying on people.

I've had Pilling Pablo in my hands many, many times at the bookstore, but have yet to buy it.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    I've had Pilling Pablo in my hands many, many times at the bookstore, but have yet to buy it.
    I thought it was a faster read than BHD.

Reading Night of the Fox by Jack Higgins right now. After it, my Higgins fix should be okay for a while.

I just recently finished Freedom Next time by John Pilger which made facinating reading, the book takes a look at various injustices across the globe.

One chapter is entitled Stealing a Nation and deals with the dispossesed Chagossians of Chogo(or as it is now called Diego Garcia), who were evicted from there homes when their Island was sold out from under them by the british (who had inherited it from france in 1815) to the americans(its A military base now.).Successive Government on either side of the Atlantic refused to Awknowledge there was ever a permenant settlment on the Island prior to it being sold and reparations of any meaningfull sort have never been made.

Another The Last Taboo covers the whole the Israel/Palestine Issue (The last Taboo being able to question Israels Actions without being called an Anti-semite)

The Book ends with a chapter entitled Liberating Afghanistan and mainly deals with the aftermath of the war(ie. Warlords everywhere pilliging left right and center ,and a resurgent opium business)