Page 22 of 119 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Currently reading Night Shift by Stephen King.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

About 1/3 through Exile. Best part? Lando is in the story! Acting, moving around, speaking; the whole shehbang! And... he CARRIES A CANE IN SOME SCENES! :smooth: You gotta read how he pronounces the ship he flies, too. Worth the cover price just for those aspects.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Finished Exile by Aaron Allston (who is an underrated SW author IMHO). It leaves some plotlines open (duh...) for the upcoming books. There are some wide possible options (from killing off fairly major characters, starting yet ANOTHER galaxy-wide war) to subtle ones (love stories, new planets intro'd) for the next novel Sacrifice, written by another underrated SW writer (only because Karen Traviss is new to it). I hope she starts to bring things together (there are "only" 3 more books left in the Legacy series).

Been reading Republic Commando: Triple Zero. This is a different book than the first Republic Commando. It's not as tightly written as the first one, and, IMO, too many characters. I have to keep checking which clone belongs to which squad.

Still enjoying it.

A third Republic Commando book is slated for October. I'll be getting that.

I finished a non-Star Wars book. In less than two weeks. :inconceivable: :Idonotthinkitmeanswhatyouthinkitmeans:
    Another posthumously-published JRR Tolkien, The Children of Hurin. I had forgotten just how much I like Tolkien's style and writing, even if it's his 80-year old son compiling his notes. It's sad, exciting, deep; just like most of JRRRT's stuff.

Will try to get to Making of SW, and maybe finish that New Essential Guide to Alien Species, too.

I've read several books since I last posted here. I will mention the highlights.

* Roberts Ridge. It's about a battle in Afghanistan where a Navy SEAL fell out of a helicopter and the rescue efforts to retrieve him. Very good.

* Finished the sixth or seventh book in the Last of the Jedi series. Read it over the holiday weekend. A good, fast read. A nice change of pace from what I've been reading.

I have the latest one in the series. Going on a trip this weekend, so I'm planning to read it then.

* Reading Sahara by Clive Cussler at the gym. Very interesting book. I put off watching the movie version until now. Boy, the book is totally different from the movie. The book's main plot is the movie's subplot, and a lot is cut out. I know it's hard to translate a 500-page novel into a 2-hour movie.

* Jackdaws, by Ken Follett. A WWII pre-D-Day spy novel which focuses on female agents of the SOE.

Good dig, OC. I forgot about this thread.

I finished Pegasus Bridge by Stephen Ambrose a few weeks ago and am just about done with his book D-Day: June 6th, 1944. While narrow in scope, Pegasus Bridge was a good, quick read (<200 pages) about the British Airborne in the hours leading up to the full-on invasion of France. The work of the Brits is so overshadowed that of the U.S. 101st that it was really fun to read about their exploits for a change.

D-Day is absolutely phenomenal. I've got only about fifty or so pages left and will be sad when I'm done with it!

On deck: I lost Ambrose's Citizen Soldiers when I was about halfway through it and now that I found it (it was in the closet for some weird reason) I'm anxious to finish it. After that are a couple I picked up at Barnes and Noble on clearance. One is about how Hitler blew the war and the other is about German paratroopers of WWII.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Finally finished Night Shift. Now I need to find my Hard Merchandise and finish that one off...been buying up all the gaps of my SW books at Borders lately, 3 for 2 deal they've got going.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

I read Shadows of the Empire yet again about a month ago.
    How, I'm about a quarter of the way into War and Genocide: A Concise History of the Holocaust.
    After that, it'll Tom Brokaw's The Greatest Generation.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I finished the latest Last of the Jedi book. Can't wait for the next one to come out.

I enjoy Jude Watson's writing style. I started the young Boba Fett series; I might have to pick those up again, as well as some of her other stories.

I picked up Making of Star Wars at a local sci-fi convention. The price was just too hard to pass up. Glad I bought it. It's great!!

Finished Sahara and am going to start reading The Trail of the Fox, about Rommel at the gym tonight.