Page 24 of 116 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Now up to 9 read, 2300 pages or so.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Think Ghost meets The Sixth Sense meets Silence of the Lambs. This started out weird, creepy, and stale, but it quickly picked up, ends sort of the way one might expect, but has multiple messages. A good read, even if it's an Oprah's Book Club selection. :chickbook: (not really a "chick" book, j/k ).

Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl. I read a reference to this account and had never gotten around to reading it. I always enjoy travel/journey books, and this was no exception. Just wish the map in this edition was larger.

The Short Reign of Pippin IV by John Steinbeck. I hadn't read a Steinbeck story in a couple years, and this short satire was a good read, too. Funny at times, usually less-than-subtle in its messages, it reminded me of a play a colleague of mine recently wrote and performed.

I have used Don Quixote as a get-out-of-jury-duty book the last 4 years or so, but the edition I usually check out from the library was already checked out! Because of that, I only got my service delayed a month or so. :superstition:
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

My tenth book this summer (averaging 250 pages each) was Sun Tzu's The Art of War. The translators included some essays and commentaries on the chapters, and even suggested reading the essays first; I compromised and read a few chapters, then the essays. It worked better that way.

Am about halfway through my next "secret" book, The Secret Life of Bees.

Two more...

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. This one was kind of like Fried Green Tomatoes with a little "who am I?" mystery to it. It, as many books, was slow in building up, but by the middle, I wanted to know what came next. Another book that's on our school's list to teach in English classes.

To a God Unknown by Steinbeck. A weird, mystical story, ending sadly, but perhaps predictably. Set in a different part of central CA, and taking a different POV with different characters. I always like my favorite author's works, although this one's not up at my top of his books, IMHO.

I'm heading out on vacation soon, and while I'll keep on reading, there'll have to be a big recap of the books read in airport lines and on cross-country flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    My tenth book this summer was Sun Tzu's The Art of War.
    Who translated your version? I have purchased/read a few different versions over the years.

Hello, new to this thread. Don't read all that often, but I usually do while on vacation. I actually need to read more.

Anyways, read Stephen King's short story The Gingerbread Girl which was published exclusively by Esquire magazine in one of their recent mags. Good story, fast read.

I also started and am half way through Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Great novel thus far, can't wait to see how it turns out. Never read any of his other work but I am now very interested.
    "That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't."

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Who translated your version? I have purchased/read a few different versions over the years.
    As Ringo Starr once voiced on a Simpsons episode: "P.S. Please excuse the lateness of my reply." The translation was by the Denma Group, that used many scholars and a found scroll that included some new parts. They mentioned that these were early "books" and were bound together at the "spine," meaning anyone could put it in whatver order you wished, as well as being harder to tell what the "first printing" version would be.

Back from vacation, and I only got to read three books (airport lines and then car repairs after returning home).

Alternate Generals II edited by Harry Turtledove (couldn't find the first book). This was a "revisionist history" fiction anthology, including some such as Napolean keeping Louisiana and losing to Britian in 1815's Battle of New Orleans, Germany winning the Battle of Britain, and a mythological account of a Korea vs. Japan "war" without fighting. Pretty cool.

'A' is for Alibi by Sue Grafton. I'd heard of this "series" that I think is up to letter T by now. Not a bad book, but REEEEEAAALLLY slow in its build up (especially for a 200-pager) and a REEEEEAAALLLY fast end (one of those last few pages stories).

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger. Now, I know I said I wanted to avoid movie tie-in books (and my current book violates that, too), but since this was my 666th book on my all-time read list, I thought I'd be appropriate. This was bad; the movie The Natural-ed it by making her more pathetic and pitiful, but the novel makes Miranda the boss really unforgivable. Few characters were truly likable. I realy didn't like this too much, and it wasn't really well constructed, either. Not terrible, but not great.

Currently reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest because it's short, and I can put it down to get to Harry and company tomorrow, if not yet finished with it. Fifteen read this summer so far, for about 4000 pages total.

So as to remain unaffected by spoilers from any medium, I bought Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows right when Costco opened this morning, and I got done reading it around 11-ish tonight. Read my comments in the thread for that book, but needless to say it was one of the best reads I've had in quite a while!

Back to the Cuckoo's Nest in a bit, but I am actually sore from reading all day! :toughlife:

Add a couple more to the list:

Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I still haven't seen the film, but this was in a discount bin of books and thought it might be interesting, which it was. Sometimes weird (duh... it's set in a mental ward in the 1960s), often sad and pitiful. Very well written with excellent characterization.

Erich Krauss' Wall of Flame. This is an account of the southern CA wildfires of October 2003. I experienced them firsthand, but thankfully was not evacuated nor was my house immediately threatened. Reading this book gave me more insight into the difficulties firefighters face (follwing orders that seem foolish, physical exhaustion to do the job that must be done, media scrutiny from those who think they know better, etc.). The book has weak and stiff dialogue and is overly repetitive (must've counted 20+ times "wall of flame" was used... hmmm, I wonder if that might make a good title , same descriptions using almost the exact wording). Not that great of a book style-wise, but very informative.

Over the last 4 summers, I've now read 100 books, totalling about 25,000 pages. And there's still time left to this summer!
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 07-25-2007 at 11:58 AM.

Each of the past few summers, I've set a goal (as yet unreached) of 30 books, with the assumption that 20 is a definite. Well, these two are #s 19 and 20, putting me around 5600 pages.

Someone on this site (I'll try to find who it was in a bit) suggested Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House as a horror genre book. Good call, _______* ! Not the slasher/gore horror, more of the gothic psychological/suspense fear. I made sure I read this one in the daytime, though. :chicken:

A book of questions, The Book of Totally Useless Information by Don Voorhees. Things like 'Why is Indiana called 'The Hoosier State?' or 'Why does the moon appear larger on the horizon?' Many I hadn't known before, others I'd already heard before. Overall, a nice easy read.

* = Ji'dai.
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 07-27-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Givin' Ji-dai the mad props so well deserved!

Read Harry Potter the night into day it came out, had it done by 10pm, will probably re-read the whole series soon. Currently on Bachman's BLAZE.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!