Page 34 of 118 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Yup thats right about the airborne. In the end I think something like 80% of ALL servicemen would have been sent to Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Yup thats right about the airborne. In the end I think something like 80% of ALL servicemen would have been sent to Japan.
    I think it was in Band of Brothers, the book, that some of the guys had their orders for the Pacific when the bomb was dropped.

After reading Downfall, you can't blame Truman for dropping the bomb. The number of dead if the invasion occurred was staggering, in the millions on both sides.

WWII magazine did a cover story several years ago about the invasion of Japan.

On a brief almost-week vacation, I had a chance to read a few...

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by James Rollins. Pretty good, although I felt like Indy was being characterized more like Han Solo (yes, I know Ford played them both, but there is a difference between their traits and habits), down to some lines (calling women "sister" ). It included some scenes cut/dismissed from the film (I knew this from reading the Making of IJ book). I liked it.

The Mind at Work by Mike Rose. I bought this for a buck, and I am not sure if I was cheated or not. I thought a research-based book about how manual labor jobs are underappreciated or dismissed. It was fairly simplistic and not as personal as it started out to be. Sadly, some of the quotes or endnotes were the most interesting parts.

Coruscant Nights I:Jedi Twilight by Michael Reaves. I'll wait on commenting (see the seperate thread here) on this one for a while.
    "That's what Sheev said."

A friend loaned me his copy of Light Over the Mountain: A History of the Rancho Cucamonga Area to read, a local history review of my home base. For most of you, it'd probably have no impact, except to confirm that "Rancho Cucamonga" is in fact a real place. :localsonly:

Any mention of chimpanzees on the loose in that book?

Moe used to reside in my county....
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Any mention of chimpanzees on the loose in that book?

Moe used to reside in my county....
    Yes. Mr. Teeny was the name of a former boxer-bartender-college-student-plagiarizing-poet-child-TV-and-soap-opera-star saloon owner, who bought and sold primates on the black market.

Still on I, Jedi....idk why but it's taking me way too long to finish this one :-\
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Finished the Jack Higgins novel. I thought the ending was a little too similar to a previous book. But still enjoyed it.

Finished a short Bill Cosby compilation of essays and short stories called Cosbyology. I like his style; he's my favorite comedian of all time, and he's as good a story teller as joke teller.

Interesting detail; so far, of the eigth books I've read so far this summer (average about 250 pages per book) have been written by author last names with only three letters of the alphabet: C, R, or W.

Finished reading Codename Downfall. The number of kia and wounded predicted are mind blowing. I'm back to reading 1421: The Year China Discovered America. Hopefully I'll actually finish the darn thing.