Page 38 of 118 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

The remnants of Ike blew threw my area the other week. I was without power for 5 days and off work for four, so I read!

Read the Fighting First, about the First Infantry Division in WWII with a focus on Omaha Beach. Very good book.

Once I finished that one, I started D-Day by Gilbert. It was like a D-day lite book. It was enjoyable, but I wish the author would've went more into detail on some facts, but I can look into some of those on my own.

I "read" the video game-based The Force Unleashed, meaning I used my eyes to decipher the meanings of those words printed on its pages. That is all I will speak of it.

Since our area is reading The Maltese Falcon for the Big Read program, they're also starting the nation's first Little Read with children's stories. So, I read a very short, and extremely painful pun-filled book called The Malted Falcon, following the exploits of Chet Gecko, an elementary school lizard detective. Kind of funny.
    "That's what Sheev said."

[FONT=Courier New]Has anyone picked up and read Order 66 yet?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    None of the liberries here has done got it yet, so's nope. But I'ma lookin' out fer it.

Finished the highly touted Cormac McCarthy book "The Road" today. Dismal. Oddly compelling, but you're only reading towards the relief of finally being done the book. Can't say as this has ever happened to me before.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

I finished reading So Sad To Fall In Battle: An Account of War Based on General Tadamichi Kuribayashi's Letters from Iwo Jima a few days ago. It was an intersting take on Kuribayshi who drove his men hard trying to prepare for the American's yet at the same time wrote letters home telling his wife how to take care of a draft in their kitchen. It really speaks for the duality of man!

[FONT=Courier New]I ordered 4 of the Post Secret books from Amazon for my wife for Christmas and they just arrived today. Some very heartbreaking entries.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Is anyone not familiar with this? [/FONT][FONT=Courier New]www.postsecret.com[/FONT][FONT=Courier New]. People mail their secrets to an address and someone posts them online (and subsequently publishes them into books).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

I finished Jack Higgins' latest book, Rough Justice, and Sebastain Faulk's James Bond novel, Devil May Care.

Rough Justice was good. Higgins introduced a new character who will make a good addition to the series.

DMC was a little disappointing. Faulk was commissioned to write a Bond novel for Ian Fleming's 100th birthday, and he attempted to write it like Fleming. The book picked up after the last of Fleming's books, and was set in the late 1960s. It came across more like a series Austin Powers than Bond. Glad I didn't buy it, but glad I finally read it.

Darth Bane: Rule of Two is out in paperback.

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    Yep. Check out the O66 thread for comments.

I also just finished the MF novel. What? It sounded like I said what? Oh, it's titled Millennium Falcon. That makes 736 total novels on my lifetime list, with exactly 500 as non-SW books. It seems all I have time to read lately are EU ones, but I have a couple on the shelves to get to, once I have longer time off from school.