Page 42 of 118 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

From Amazon: ordered Wreaking Havoc: A Year In An A-20 by Joseph Rutter. This is about Rutter's experiences flying A-20s in the Pacific Theater. Since I've read so much about the A-20s in the European Theater, I thought it was only fair to give the other half equal time!

A-20s in the Pacific employed low-level flying tactics which were hugely successful in their results. Looks like a good read: Amazon allowed a peek and the first five pages or so.

The book should be here by early next week.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Just turned the final page on Wreaking Havoc a few minutes ago.

The book is more of a personal memoir reflecting the times rather than a war novel. I enjoyed it. Very eerie as the author, Joseph Rutter, was involved in the same action in New Guinea and the Philippines at the very same time as was my dad, who was in the Navy. Strange to think that perhaps Rutter was overhead providing support while my dad was landing troops and/or material in his LCT! Many, many dates coincided with Rutter's accounts and my dad's newly discovered WWII "diary", recently brought to my attention by my oldest brother. (I'm now researching a many dates and places in my dad's very, very brief and inclomplere "diary"....it's more of a list, BCJ!

As R. Kelly once sang: "I don't see nuthin' wrong, with a little [list making]."

Am halfway through the third Coruscant Nights book, and I want to finish it; stupid [but appreciative of simply having it] work!
    "That's what Sheev said."

Finished Storm Warning, an older Jack Higgins novel, and started The Dogs of War by Frederick Forsyth.

Got through what becomes my airplane book (my 747th on my have-read list), House and Philosophy. I little technical at times, but hey, it's about a technical subject (medicine meets old time philosophers with a dash of present day life thrown in). I liked it, as I have those others in the "... and Philosophy" series books (I've read SW and the Simpsons for sure, perhaps one other). Doubt I'll get to any other reading until next week's spring break.

I've already returned it so I don't exactly remember the title but I finished Lt. Lynn 'Buck' Compton's book. Buck was in Easy company aka Band of Brothers during WWII. His post war story is more interesting then most. He was on the LAPD, a detective, lawyer and finally a judge.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    I've already returned it so I don't exactly remember the title but I finished Lt. Lynn 'Buck' Compton's book. Buck was in Easy company aka Band of Brothers during WWII. His post war story is more interesting then most. He was on the LAPD, a detective, lawyer and finally a judge.
    That looks pretty good JJB. I'm going to check it out. I've attached a photo of the cover.

I just finished 9th Air Force: American Tactical Aviation in the ETO 1942-1945 by Gregory Pons that I picked up from Amazon. This was a very pleasant surprise. It's almost a coffe table-sized book. It's actually a publication of photos and memorabilia from various contributors who fought in various groups within the 9th AF. Tons, and tons of photos interlaced with written history with a couple of diaries thrown in. Wonderful collections of nose art. The book goes into great detail as to uniforms and equipment worn/used by pilots and ground crew alike. An extremely good resource for that subject.

The only downside for me is that it concentrates heavily on B-26 Marauder bomb groups, and P-47 Thunderbolt fighter groups. All other aircraft are virtually ignored such as A-26s, A-20s, P-51s, P-38s, etc. (obviously, I was looking for more info on A-20s). It does, however have a short, but extremely interesting chapter on the C-47s and their contributions. This disappointment for me is minor, though. If you are interested in the beginnings of US tactical air power as employed during WWII, I would highly recommend this book; especially as a visual guide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buck.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	19832  

Finished a very facinating SW "reference" book, The Secret History of SW, by Michael Kaminski. It was a structured, researched compilation of interviews and script analysis of George Lucas and the other writers and media people. Lots of typos and printin gerrors (just like the one I've left here ) throughout, but quite interesting. It portrays Lucas as a pitible reclusive power-hungry manipulator (maybe a tad harsh on my part, as I don't think it's that way myself) of the truth. Long (almost 600 pages including the endnotes and Appendices) but good. Not authorized through LucasBooks, obviously.

I'm on book 6 of the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. The series True Blood on HBO last year was based on book 1 and parts of 2. They're entertaining quick reads that give a great southern spin on the classic vampire tale.

Finally finished I, Jedi.....now onto Children of the Jedi!
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!