Page 45 of 118 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

I took a break from the formation of the Jewish state of Israel for a little humor: two of George Carlin's books, Napalm & Silly Putty and When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? Whoa! Not quite. I apparently had remembered semi-sanitized cable specials George Carlin, and forgot how he really speaks and thinks. Sometimes the comments were funny, but more often they were uncomfortably vulgar, graphic, and disturbing. How does one go back to Golda Meir after these two?
    "That's what Sheev said."

Those are a couple of great reads BCJ!!! I'd say you would need to read something else as a sort of buffer before you get back to Golda Meir.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Those are a couple of great reads BCJ!!! I'd say you would need to read something else as a sort of buffer before you get back to Golda Meir.
    I'm starting that "cat that saved a small town" story Dewey, for that very reason. I also have a few others on the shelf, and there's a hardcover SW book out today (I think it's Omen), so I have some options. And My Life has been quite interesting to read, it's just very detailed and therefore not a "quick" read.

Finished Dewey: The Small Town Cat That Touched the World yesterday. One book jacket comment said it had "a five hanky ending," with which I would agree. But a nice story. Am trying to continue Ms. Meir's memoir now.

Just can't seem to delve right back in to a memoir... so I took a break with a biography, Pistol, by Mark Kriesel. I thought I knew a fair amount about Pete Maravich; turns out I knew nuthin' really. Both a sad, uplifting, confusing, facinating, and twisting tale.

Fourth same-user post in a row...

I finally finished My Life, a memoir of former Israel leader (since she held several posts over her life) Golda Meir. Very detailed, good memory, quite defensive in tone, but also balanced and fair. I wasn't really aware of all that went into the formation and protection of that country and people.

So far this summer, 7 books read, about 2000 pages total. On to more!

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Fourth same-user post in a row...
    Good thing then that I made that comment about When Will Jesus Bring The Porkchops otherwise it would have been 6 in a row for you BCJ.

Re-reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince before the movies comes out soon
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthQuack View Post
    Re-reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince before the movies comes out soon
    Wait, they made books of the movies? Sweet! Gotta check them out.

Two more.

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes. This is a young reader novel, set in the pre-Revolutionary War period in Boston. A good moral lesson story, and a good time machine back to a simpler time in US history.

On Writing by Stephen King. This is a sort of how-to for aspiring writers, but it also has some personal history and views. He was writing this when he was hit by that driver while walking, so he interrupted it with the story of how he was healing after all that. It's both helpful and daunting, when you realize just what's involved with novel writing (and more frighteningly [ha! there's an adverb for you, Mr. King] is the publishing and shopping around parts).