Page 48 of 112 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

With the new school year resuming tomorrow (school starting on August 10th?!? what the-?!? ), my "summer" is officially closed as of today. I was able to sneak in a short 200-pager before the end, called California Blue by David Klass. It's about a kid who discovers a new species of butterfly on land owned by a logging company. It is also a father-whose-treatment-of-his-son-seems-unfair tale, that ended realistically, which you don't always read in a young adult book. Not bad, bit of a downer (cancer plotline in there, too), but I can see why it won awards.

So, that leaves my statistics as follows:
    Books read: 21
    Total pages (estimate): 6100
    Average per book: 290
    Most commonly read author's last name by letter: tie (C and K)

6-year summer totals:
    Books read: 160
    Total pages (estimate): 42,400
    Average per book: 265

Sigh... will try to get some other reading in whenever I can for the rest of '09 (there will be SW books; Omen should be here soon).
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    With the new school year resuming tomorrow (school starting on August 10th?!? what the-?!? ), my "summer" is officially closed as of today.
    School resumes here on Wednesday.

Here are just some of the books I've read lately (I know I'm leaving one or two out):

* Save the Hostages. About a hostage crisis in the Congo in 1964. White Europeans and Americans were held against their will by the Simbas. The Belgium gov't sent in paratroopers and an armored column of mercenaries offered armor support to rescue them.

* Ep. 1 Journal: Darth Maul. One of the short young adult readers. Offered some interesting insight into Maul that's not shown in the movies.

* Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. I read this several years ago over the holidays. I re-read it at a slower pace and thoroughly enjoyed it.

* Ghost Recon. A novelization of the video game. It wasn't too bad. A fast read.

I read a couple of the Jedi Apprentice books, too, sometime in-between there.

Currently reading SW Outcast.

FINALLY finished Children of the Jedi. Not sure I really understood the whole story...now onto the fun sequel thankfully written by a new author, only to have to deal with Barbara to finish out the trilogy...
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quack's Arcade

I've borrowed a signed copy of Don Felder's book, Heaven and Hell: My Life in the Eagles (1974-2001) from a collegue at work. (He bought off of eBay for next to nothing). I haven't cracked it open yet, but I hope to while I'm on vacation after this coming week.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

That is one long football career! To survive 26 seasons in Philly certainly is an accomplishment.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

....and without the use of steroids!

However, I can't vouch that Felder didn't use other pharmaceuticals.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    I've borrowed a signed copy of Don Felder's book, Heaven and Hell: My Life in the Eagles (1974-2001) from a collegue at work. (He bought off of eBay for next to nothing). I haven't cracked it open yet, but I hope to while I'm on vacation after this coming week.
    I'm curious to hear how this book was. I'm a huge Eagles fan, and I'm interesting to see what Felder's take is on everything. Lotta bad blood between him, Henley and Frey.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47150 View Post
    I'm curious to hear how this book was. I'm a huge Eagles fan, and I'm interesting to see what Felder's take is on everything. Lotta bad blood between him, Henley and Frey.
    I finished the book yesterday, but wanted to digest it a bit before posting. In all, an easy read (the brunt of my reading was over Friday-Saturday). A bit over 300 pages with a smattering of photos.

I would characterize the book more of a "warts and all" book rather than a "tell all" book. Felder is brutally honest with his successes and failures, character flaws, and dreams both shattered and realized. Maybe I'd characterize it more of an "it is what it is" book. I felt many times like I was on the sidelines of a therapy session listening in. He pulls no punches with his band mates or himself. His time with the group was a true love/hate relationship overshadowed by drug abuse and greed from the minute he joined the group.

The book begins as a wonderful autobiography about Felder's poverty-stricken youth in Florida and culminates with the implosion of the group as egos and greed collide (and no one, not even Felder, can escape the fact that they all are guilty of having egos or wanting their "piece of the pie").

If you're an Eagles fan, I can recommend it (I'm a moderate fan). Just be prepared to journey to the dark side of the group through one member's eyes. I see Felder's book as a lament more than anything else. To me, it's a book where many conclusions can be drawn. Read it, and come up with your own as Felder takes you down many paths. My take, as I said, is that the work is a lament on what could have/should have been.

I borrowed the book from a friend at work. It's a signed copy he bought off of eBay. For the real fans of Felder, I've posted a photo showing his autograph. I don't know if it's real or not, but there it is. Some may be more savvy as to its authenticity. I have no idea. Felder speaks of how his signature tends to be the most rare of the group.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fekder_1 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	21402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Felder_2 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	21403  

Rolling Stone had a great article on the Eagles in the last year or so. It briefly touched on the Henley-Frey-Felder relationship. The just is, Henley and Frey are like the group's controlling partners: if you don't like what they say, you're more or less gone.

60 Minutes had an interesting piece on the Eagles, too, in the last two years, but really didn't touch on Felder.

This is exactly what Felder's book is about. It really should have been called the Frey-Henley Band (listed in order of power and ego) instead of the Eagles. Felder's complaint was when he signed on board, the contract stated everything would be split equally between the five band members. Frey, Henley, and the Eagles manager Irving Azoff, ended up making a power play for control and the remaining original, then subsequent members, including Felder ended up with "scraps" (my word; we're talking millions here). Felder's book is a nasty insight into the greed of the music business. One by one, Frey and Henley chased off two of the original members and to his dismay, kept Felder at bay for years.