Page 56 of 119 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

I'm on a Jack Higgins kick. Finished Night Judgement at Sinos and am reading Sheba right now.

The last few weeks, I've read a few more Dashiell Hammett short stories, most with the Op. Last week I read Raymond Chandler's excellent "The Big Sleep" - the movie version with Bogie and Bacall can't hold a candle to the book. And even better, I live just a few blocks from where Philip Marlowe lived in the story, that was a nifty surprise!!!

Today I finished up the second Marlowe book, "Farewell, My Lovely". Having seen the movie (better than Bogie, but still pales in comparison to the book), I unintentionally ruined the surprise ending, but the book was still pretty good if a tad overly racist for my tastes (and it flip-flops on that matter). Great book for about 3/4s, the last quarter you start to realize some of the weird stuff going down is more or less massive red herrings, and it feels a bit cheap. Still, it holds its own long enough that I didn't mind too much while I was in the moment, the ending itself being a satisfying explanation of as much as the author allowed.

I bought all 5 of Dashiell Hammett's novels as used paperbacks from Amazon for $4 a piece (and with Prime, no shipping fees, that was a nice touch) so that's next on my agenda, along with more of his short stories on the iPod, which also holds 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - which I haven't read in over 20 years, so that should be good - and there's also a Charles Dickens mystery story on there waiting for me to get really bored , and a Sherlock Holmes merely because I've grown too lazy to pull my complete Holmes hardcover library out of the closet.

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to start on Red Harvest, which seems to be the Op's introductory book. The Continental Op is the prototype for all hard-boiled detective characters, including for Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe, so I am really looking forward to this book.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Red Harvest is an awesome book and shouldn't take too long. The Big Sleep is near the top of my reading list.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Red Harvest is already proving the kind of book I soak up the details on, which slows down my reading a little, in a good way. I'm only a couple chapters in, but the Op in this book is so much more interesting than in the short stories, if I didn't know better I'd think Hammett was ripping off Philip Marlowe, which says A LOT about the Op since that character is a decade before Marlowe.

The Big Sleep is one of those books where I wished I enjoyed the act of holding a book more so I could go buy it to have a physical copy, but it's just never been me, going back to paperbacks feels like a step backwards (it was a financial decision, they were a little cheaper as used paperbacks).

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Finally finished The Life and Legacy of Annie Oakley by Glenda Riley. Zoiks! Waaaaaay more scholarly that I expected! It was more of a text book for a women's studies class than the standard biography that I had hoped. Good stuff, but I was hoping for something on the lighter side.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Currently reading Crime and Punishment; between the length, the density, and the small amount of time I have to read, it could take a while. So far, it's well worth the effort, though.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I heard that Punishment gets killed by Crime in the end. Oops; forgot to post that as a SPOILER. My bad, Chux.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Reading one Grimm's Fairy Tale a night to the baby between my dinner and his evening feeding/bath time.

Myself: Finally getting around to reading Silver Chair and The Last Battle in the Chronicles of Narnia, Iowa Code on Radon Mitigation and Home sales, Science Special from the annual meeting in San Diego, Nature: Neuroscience like I do every week.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Red Harvest was a surprise. The first half felt like episodic serials, which it was, but I was engaged by the characters and Poisonville itself. The second half really gets crazy, the Op is killing or getting so many people killed it's shocking. And then the 17th murder was a true gasp, and stuff gets really wild and interesting, and then it ends with a little deus ex machina, although I was glad to see the Op was using logic to get there.

I read the second Op novel, The Dain Curse, and this one was intentionally segmented, and more of a regular mystery. The first 2 tales are downright interesting, but feel like they could have been decompressed even more. Then the 3rd tale starts getting a bit pale and maudlin for the titular character, and while the mystery was interesting, I had started to pick up the pieces faster and had already known who the big baddy was. The last tale was really odd, the Op gets sentimental helping someone kick morphine and almost by magic catches the bad guy, although some of the stuff with the hotel and the other ops was good. The end chapter is a downright disappointment, a rambling explanation of how there were no red herrings, that the villain had his hand in EVERYTHING, and there was far too much of a happy ending - I would have liked to have seen the Op comment on the villain's final fate at least.

Seven Men at Daybreak. An account of Czech commandos to assassinate Reinhard Heyrich in 1942. Interesting tale in the fact that some of the commandos were real bumblers and the best made plans too fall apart.