Page 59 of 117 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

The Op is 190 pounds, around 5' 7", overweight, balding, in his 40s, and earnest in his task. I just don't picture Marky Mark that way.

Last night I read an Op story where Hammett described a gun shooting at our hero as "squirting lead", and I laughed because that was almost a silly 1950s cliche compared to most of the hard-boiled descriptions in these stories.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If you find a film called Bad Day at Black Rock, you'll see Spencer Tracy give an Op style performance. It would have been epic for him to play the Op back in that period and it might have made ironic sense, given how close he was with Bogie in real life. They each would have played characters from the same author.

My 500th post!!!! Yay me!

I finally got around to Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. I like his style (it makes for quick, easy reading when a 500+ pager has 135 chapters), even if I figured out much of the surprise and twist ideas pretty early on. I liked it a lot for the first 100 chps. or so, but it really slowed down with about 8 left. Overall, a good read.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Aside from the Peter Pan books he's started writing very frequently (I have read the first two, IIRC), I think I've read every Dave Barry book. I just finished Science Fair a YA novel that seemed kind of like his Big Trouble to me. It's as funny as a young adult audience book usually is, but there's quite a bit of Star Wars references (and I'm talking DL-44 stuff, not just Luke Skywalker and Chewbacca) and even some veiled social commentary. I predicted several of the "surprises," but the way Barry handled them was decent. I liked it.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Finished reading The Lady in the Lake last night. I enjoyed a little more than Chandler's The High Window and The Big Sleep, and absolutely loved the character of Jim Patton, but the switch was really obvious early on and kept bothering me, the title even makes it somewhat obvious. It was nice to have cops be bad but not TOO bad, especially cops from Bay City.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I forgot, right before that I read Dashiell Hammett's "The Glass Key". This book was mixed for me, the mystery aspects were shallow and got lost a few times only to reappear deep at the end in a rather out-of-left-field manner. The way the mob acted in this seemed less stupid than most stories in general, and I liked that. But the characters all felt pretty hollow, some were puppets, others weren't as bad but never felt entirely whole even when their motivations were natural and unique to them. It was the same with the locations, they were simply words on a page most of the time never quite coming to life the way he or Raymond Chandler would bring their locales to life. That would have been ok here if the characters were holding up their end of the bargain, or vice-versa, but not both locale and characters being shallow. Ultimately, it was ok but the concept of a crook being a sleuth held a lot more promise than was delivered here.

The used copy I bought of Amazon was very dried out compared to the other Hammett books I got at the same time, making it fragile and yellowed almost to the point of frustration. I guess $4 books can't all be genius.

This book has a younger female character nicknamed "Snip" by the protagonist. I wonder if that's where they got "Snips" in The Clone Wars from.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    This book has a younger female character nicknamed "Snip" by the protagonist. I wonder if that's where they got "Snips" in The Clone Wars from.
    Nope. Lucasfilm says it was a total original concept, like the entire saga was.

Oh, right, I forgot. And the spaghetti western gunslinger movie Django never existed.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Oh, right, I forgot. And the spaghetti western gunslinger movie Django never existed.
    Yes. That is exactly right.

I might actually be able to finish another book before this week is over.

I read a Continental Op story last night that took place in another country. That was surprising. Pretty good stuff, no mystery whatsoever though, it was mainly intrigue and not an overwhelming amount of that even.