Page 60 of 118 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

currently reading Hard Merchandise the 3rd book in the Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy... was finally able to find a couple of this at retail a few weeks back... so far the books are decent, not the best I've read but enjoyable.

the next series of books I want to tackle are the Republic Commando books, but first will be the New Legacy of the Force book Backlash.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Finished an autobiography of Dan Rooney of the Steelers. I figured, with all the negative press surrounding some of the current players' actions, I needed to know more about someone with a good reputation. Nice stories, if written simplistically. Good to learn more of the history of the Pittsburgh football team (it used to be called the Pirates first).
    "That's what Sheev said."

The other day I finished The King of Vodka: The Story of Pyotr Smirnov and the Upheaval of an Empire. The upheaval isn't just what happened to Smirnov's family after he died but of Russia itself. It was a decent read, it shed some light on the liquor industry in Russia 100+ plus years ago which was alright. Hopefully I can find something else of interest when I go to the library later today.

Finished up I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max.....vile, disgusting, gross.

Loved every minute of it! I definitely recommend it to anyone!
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Read a Continental Op story which is a western, horses and "cut 'em off at the pass" and everything. The Op gets shot in it. It was an ok story, I think this is one that could have been fleshed out to a whole novel to expand upon the mystery and the town and characters some more.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Read a Continental Op story which is a western, horses and "cut 'em off at the pass" and everything. The Op gets shot in it. It was an ok story, I think this is one that could have been fleshed out to a whole novel to expand upon the mystery and the town and characters some more.
    I always love when the Op says he has to catch a "stage" to get where he's going.

That's been in a few stories, but oddly, despite this being an actual western story, he mentions it's an automobile stage! That is some weirdness. There was a Philip Marlowe story that mentioned a stage as well.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It doesn't count as a finished book, but I completed "The Langoliers" short story of the Four Past Midnight collection. I'd seen the TV movie version and wanted to read the story; I'm not sure which I prefer, as both were strong. Am trying to get through the other three stories in it now.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Read the Op story, The Big Knockover. This was entertaining, but straight adventure, no real mystery stuff in it. Started the next story, glad to see it's a sequel.

Before that, I read from the collection "The Big Knockover", Hammett's autobiographical Tulip, telling the story of Hammett's stay at friends' only to have a longtime friend drop by. Reading this was surprising because there was a lot more current stuff in it, first thing was a television, but there were also adult themes and terms that are unchanged today, and I was impressed by how smart the players were, it reminded me that people 60 years ago appear to have been naturally much smarter and better informed than today. Being able to have an aside conversation about the theory of relativity and the nature of light as waves and particles just blows me away.

D-Day: the battle for Normandy by Antony Beevor and Karen Traviss' SW: Clone Wars: No Prisoners.

I'm a big D-Day fan (one of my favorite books of all time is The Longest Day). I picked up Beevor's book at the library and intended just to read about the invasion but ended up reading the entire book. It was well written and researched.

But I had to take a short break from it and read CW: No Prisoners. Another good Traviss SW outing. I liked the idea of the splinter Jedi group.