Page 61 of 118 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Last night I finished LEGIONARY: The Roman Soldier's [Unofficial] Manual. Its a tongue in cheek book about life and history of a legionary in Ancient Rome. Its a pretty good read, fairly fast and rather informative.

just finished The Bounty Hunter Trilogy Hard Merchandise on Saturday...currently reading Republic Commando True Colors. still have yet to pick up the new Legacy of the Force series
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Finished $106,000 Blood Money, which was a worthy sequel to Big Knockover, but the ending was a little small after all that went down. Still, the 2 stories together really paid off nicely, and felt like a good way to finish The Op (there are a handful more stories, but they're pretty hard to find).

Next up is probably The Maltese Falcon, or Hammett's Sam Spade short stories (I know they'd be out of order, but I hear they're not as good - I just can't decide though).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

A-20 Havoc at War (I won off of eBay) by William Ness.

A British publication, so it has colourful language. I never knew airplanes landed on tyres before!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I'm about halfway through the Maltese Falcon now. It's SO slow because I have to work extra hard not to hear Bogie, Peter Lorre, and the rest of the movie cast in my head while reading their characters' passages. The movie script is taken almost verbatim from the book, even if the casting ain't.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

A day or two ago I finished reading The Edge of Terror. Its about a group of American missionaries and miners who hid out from the Japanese in the Philippines during World War II. While it was an interesting read I thought it would be a bit more about the guerrilla movement against the Japanese.

Arrived yesterday from Amazon:

With The Old Breed by E.B. Sledge and Helmet For My Pillow (from Parris Island to the Pacific) by Robert Leckie.

These are two of the works on which HBO's miniseries The Pacific is based. I've started Sledge's book first, then it's on to Leckie's.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Finished The Maltese Falcon last night. Damn was that a good ending, right to the last sentence in the book. I don't know how anybody can claim this isn't Hammett's finest work, the characters are far more nuanced, there's no "3 act obviousness", you never hear what people are thinking except by their actions and dialogue, and the main character doesn't even get roughed up or find a big clue, it's all so much more interesting than the standard detective novel. And it rarely feels antiquated, no crazy racism, not a ludicrous amount of focus on the gay guys, there's blatant sex, not a whole lot of focus on the era with its prohibition and mobsters and such.

BTW, from the 2 movie versions, I had always assumed Wilmer was Gutman's punk, but the book makes it seem like he's actually Cairo's boy toy, that was quite a surprise.

The copy I had was a paperback from '84 and has more typos and issues than a standard e-book!

Yesterday I finished Blood & Wine: The Unauthorized Story Of The Gallo Wine Empire. It tells the story of how Gallo became the huge business it now is, unknown to me there were 3 Gallo brothers not two and Ernest and Julio would do anything to promote and protect the winery. Going so far as to SUE THEIR BROTHER FOR THE USE OF HIS NAME! It was quite the eye opening read.

Today I finished a real quick read called: The Runner's Rule Book. Which was written by Mark Remy. As the name states its a 'rule book' for runners, some of the stuff is legit, for example: Never Miss a Chance To Thank a Volunteer. While other rules are more goofy such as: If you are looking at new running shorts and you wonder if they are too short, chances are they are.