Page 74 of 118 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Well I started reading The Dumbest Generation but I just couldn't do it. Not that it wasn't well written or an interesting topic but because it was just too sad to read. Kudos to BCJ and Maradona for being able to complete it.
    I bought it sometime earlier this year, and once I finally started reading it, it took me awhile. I remember thinking "I need to get this done so it's out of my head" at one point. It did temper any teaching enthusiasm I had for a few days.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I bought it sometime earlier this year, and once I finally started reading it, it took me awhile. I remember thinking "I need to get this done so it's out of my head" at one point. It did temper any teaching enthusiasm I had for a few days.
    Yeah I understand that one, however when I was reading it I thought it was good to know this stuff. That said I couldn't do it.

The Jedburghs. These were special ops teams, comprised (many times) of a British, American and Frenchmen, were parachuted into France before and after D-Day to better organize the French Resistance. This effort was done with great success. Interesting book.

The Bormann Testament, by Jack Higgins. One of Higgins' earlier works that had been updated. Apparently, he couldn't include some of the parts when it was originally published in the 60s, but now came. A German is trying to sell Martin Bormann's manuscript, and several parties don't want that happening.

My sci-fi book club chose The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It was quite good, but I didn't love it as much as some of the members did. It's a YA version of The Running Man and "reality" TV shows, but pretty violent and gory at times.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I attended my second reunion of WWII vets of the 416th Bomb Group just a few days ago and was able to have 416th veteran and author Ralph Conte sign my copy of his book, Attack Bombers We Need You! (it's pretty much considered The Bible of the 416th) as well as L.N. Smith M.D. who wrote Darwin's War; Science, Politics, Warfare, Faith and Sacrifice: The 416th Bomb Groups Sacrifices to Defeat Euginics. Dr. Smith's father was a pilot in the 416th. Very cool meeting both authors and "family" members. This will be a nice legacy for my own family! I think a re-reading of both books is in order.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Recent audio books include:

Reagan in His Own Voice: Ronald Reagan's Radio Addresses
    Speaking My Mind: Selected Speeches with Personal Reflections
    (by Ronald Reagan)
    When Character Was King: A Story of Ronald Reagan (by Peggy Noonan)
    The Road to Serfdom (by Friedrich A. Hayek)

Just started "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand.

I also read "The Overton Window" by Glenn Beck over Father's Day weekend.
    May the force be with you.

currently reading Star Wars The Old Republic Fatal Alliance....borrowed it from the library...pretty decent book have about 100 pages left to read...hoping to put a dent in that tonight and have it finished by tomorrow...

still waiting for the library to get in a copy of Clone Wars Seige (have it on hold when it comes in)
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I finished reading A general's life : An Autobiography by General of The Army: Omar N. Nelson. General Bradly was the last person to achieve the rank of 5 stars. He was born in Missouri, went to West Point, became commander of US troops in Europe during WWII, overhauled the VA, became Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. While its an interesting read it can get bogged down in details. But overall a good read.

Last night I finished Admiral "Bull" Halsey, as the name suggests its about Admiral Halsey who commanded in the Pacific during WWII. Its a typical WWII bio, good but nothing special.

finished Fatal Alliance and Clone Wars Gambit: Seige...

thinking about trying out those Alex Cross books but not 100% at the moment... looking forward to 11/30 and the release of Fate of the Jedi Vortex
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks