Page 79 of 113 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

I read a book (I still hate to make that statement as if it should be considered a noteworthy accomplishment )... Knight Errant, by John Jackson Miller, a SW novel based on a DH comic series in the era before the "common" Republic time. It's about a Jedi in Sith space (apparently the only Jedi there), and actually held up well, with the potential for a continuing story. This reminded me of the Courscant Nights trilogy that I enjoyed; just enough connections to the SW universe to make it understandable, but also new characters and scenarios that make it fresh.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

I really need to pick up my copy of Before The Storm....I've been slacking for too many months.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

A week off is wonderful for catching up on reading! I read Devil Bones by author/anthropologist Kathy Reichs, who has been the inspiration for the TV show Bones; it isn't really all that close to the show (set in North Carolina, she is about 40, divorced/separated with a daughter, has a cat, recovering alchoholic, cusses easily, works with a local slob of a cop), but still a good read (after the first half... much more exposition than most 300 page books, IMHO).

And now I have three other different books a-awaitin' me!

Finished another Paulo Coelho novel, The Zahir: A Novel of Obsession, even though I said I wouldn't read this one of his. It ended differently than it seemed to be leading up to, but that was a good thing. It reminded me of The Accident by Elie Wiesel, but with more positives. Weird how Coelho made himself a part of the book, with references to his novels (without their titles) as if they had been written in that book's world. Not his best work, but not bad either.

One more day left to my vacation, and I'm 1/3 through one, with a second un-read book waiting!

[edit] I finished a non-SW Timothy Zahn book, Odd Girl Out. It's a future Earth sci-fi story, apparently in a series about a sort-of Deckard Smith cop trying to stop a Body Snatchers-type being who controls Humans (they capitialize the word) and other animal Aliens. Pretty good story; Zahn tells a good tale.

Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain. If you've seen his show No Reservations then you'll probably be hearing his voice while you read (I did). I love the show and I loved the book.

Got to my second "Bones" novel by Kathy Reichs, Cross Bones, where she goes to Israel to solve a Da Vinci Code-like mystery. This was better than the first Reichs one I read, IMO.

Been on a bit of a comic book tear lately, since I discovered one of the local libraries has a decent selection of graphic novels:

Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil (highly recommended)
    100 Bullets Vols. 1-2 (also highly recommended)
    Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader (even more highly recommended than the previous two, if that's possible)
    Kingdom Come (decent, but not nearly up to the expectations built by a decade of hype)
    Kick-[Butt] (highly recommended if you're in the bathroom and out of toilet paper... I really hope the movie is better, and plan to eliminate all Millar from my reading diet)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Got to my second "Bones" novel by Kathy Reichs, Cross Bones, where she goes to Israel to solve a Da Vinci Code-like mystery. This was better than the first Reichs one I read, IMO.
    Is it better then the Da Vinci code?

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Is it better then the Da Vinci code?
    I really liked DVC, unlike other readers here and elsewhere, so I'd say "no" to being better. But it is different, because it's more from the Jewish or Muslim point of view than Christianity. Not anywhere near the break-neck pace of Brown's book (this one takes place over a few weeks, I think, where DVC was about a day or so, IIRC). Still a worthwhile read.

Recently started reading the Thrawn Trilogy again. I almost literally can't put it down. I read it for the first time a few years ago and just bought all of the hardbacks from Amazon. Definitely a great story and the fact that it's 20 years old makes it that much better.

RB, how are you doin' on it? Any opinions?
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!