Page 80 of 112 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Athletic Development: The Art and Science of Functional Sports Conditioning by Vern Gambetta. As the title suggests its a book about coaching.[/FONT]

This is from a month or two ago but I read (yet another) WWII book this one called: Frontlines: World War II, Personal Accounts of Wisconsin Veterans, Volume II: The Pacific. The book was written by a local dj who interviewed a number of local veterans (NE Wisconsin, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan) who served in the PTO during WWII. While all of the stories were good, some were truly truly amazing.

SW: Old Republic: Fatal Alliance. I've gotten more interested in the last few months in the Old Republic period, and this book was a good start. I've picked up the second one to read.

Funny thing: there's a Sith named Darth Howl. When I first read his name, the first imagine to pop into my mind was Thurston Howell III as a Sith.

Inventing George Washington: America's Founder, in Myth & Memory by Edward G. Lengel. This was an interesting read, it explains how George Washington has been "crafted" to fit certain groups motives and wants. He's been portrayed as a semi god, then he was 'taken down' and built back up in the 200+ years since his death.

I finished Operation Dark Heart a few days ago. It tells the story of an intelligence officer during the war in Afghanistan. Its pretty interesting, and if the things he said are true, then its some sad news for the US of A.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    I finished Operation Dark Heart a few days ago. It tells the story of an intelligence officer during the war in Afghanistan. Its pretty interesting, and if the things he said are true, then its some sad news for the US of A.
    So true. I think, as the years past, we might see more books like this one released.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47150 View Post
    So true. I think, as the years past, we might see more books like this one released.
    Its the first thing I've read on that subject and it was pretty darn good. The guy is a light colonel in the Army reserves, and the interesting thing is right before it went to print the Dept of Defense redacted a large part of it (as was stated in the preface). I thought this would mean that it had to be rewritten but no, there are words and at times whole sentences blocked out. At first it was kind of confusing to read but I got used to it after a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Its the first thing I've read on that subject and it was pretty darn good. The guy is a light colonel in the Army reserves, and the interesting thing is right before it went to print the Dept of Defense redacted a large part of it (as was stated in the preface). I thought this would mean that it had to be rewritten but no, there are words and at times whole sentences blocked out. At first it was kind of confusing to read but I got used to it after a bit.
    The paragraphs of censored info was a little frustrating. It reminded me of other stories the gov't censored.

Check out Lone Survivor and Battle for Roberts' Ridge.

Started reading Before the Storm again. Hopefully I'll get through this trilogy quick!
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quack's Arcade

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by OC47150 View Post
    Check out Lone Survivor and Battle for Roberts&#39; Ridge.
    What is the time frame for those books?</p>