Page 82 of 117 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

I have three books I'm wanting to purchase, but my funds are locked up in two Visa debit gift cards I received a while back. These cards can't be used on line (which I don't understand....the bucks are there) and local book stores don't carry them at them (Boarders has vaporized and B&N doesn't have them...online is so much easier!). What to do? What to do!?
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

You could use the card number in an online auction site, I suppose, because I think they let you use multiple accounts/cards to purchase stuff.

[edit]And another book read: The Pun Also Rises by John Pollack, a history and full-hand account of the use, viewpoints, and development of punning. It was short on pages, but not short on enjoyment. I'm only averaging 240 pages per book so far this summer, as the books have been a little shorter than I've read previously.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Reached the 3K pages mark with these three newest reads:

The Active Side of Infinity by Carlos Castaneda. It's somewhat of an anthology of his reflections with his mentor, don Juan Matus. I got started reading CC once I learned George Lucas used some of his studies and writings in his development of the Force (the books do have a Yoda-esque feel to them). I'm not sure, but it seems that this was his last book published (1998) before he died.

Hardy Boys: The Jungle Pyramid by Franklin W. Dixon and Nancy Drew: The Mystery at Lilac Inn by Carolyn Keene. I realized I'd never read any HB, even though I had several books to start the series (I think they were my uncle's books), and as a dude I couldn't read ND stories. They would have been really interesting to follow each series when they were published; now they just seem dated and nostalgic (informer characters give out actual addresses, phone books [what are those?] have seemingly EVERY person listed, villains "monologue" to the heroes and don't kill anyone [but there's a lot of tied up and gagged situations], their clothing is always in excellent condition and style, et al). In one, a character was named "Pedro Zemog," and it took until the last 3 or 4 chapters to transpose the letters to find his identity. Well, now I can say I have read one of each (#56 in the HB series, and #4 in ND). Hooray.

I may adjust my summer reading "theme" to Travel, based on our local library's adult summer program theme of Novel Destinations. These two were similar in titles and structures:

Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper. It's about a blind cat named Homer, and how she lived her life around his needs and exploits. It weaves parts of The Odyssey epic throughout, including the chapter openings quoted from it. Not as sappy and emotional as I thought it could become; well-written.

Turn Left at the Trojan Horse by Brad Herzog. A semi-midlife crisis travel tale, where he visits places (and ironically, some people) with names associated with the Greek myth. Humorous, very detailed, and excellent use and explanation of the mythology and etymology of the names, plus good descriptions of the people he meets along the way. Very good; it inspires me to get off my rear and plan my own book. Maybe.

Ms all around for me...

Safe at Home by Alyssa Milano. I'm sure I picked this book because it's summertime, the time of baseball, and... uh... who am I kidding? She could've written a book on how to turn pages in books! Actually, aside from my inner-teenage self returning to form, she has a great sense of the sport, quite knowledgeable about the stats and history, and nice memories with her family.

Fool by Christopher Moore. I bought this book from the discount shelves at B&N, but it turned out to be a very good read. It's the story of King Lear told from the Fool's (named Pocket) POV. It is VERY bawdy and crass to say the least, quite funny throughout, quoting and purposely misquoting various plays of the Bard's, but it became a good parody or alternate reality version of my favorite Shakespeare play (and the Fool is among my favorite literary characters of all time, too).

My reading stats as of now? 17 books read, about 4200 pages, roughly 247 pages per book. On my way to my 30-book goal!

Today I got "Culture of Corruption" (Completely Updated plus Three New Chapters) by Michelle Malkin for Father's Day.

I want to pick up "On China" by Dr. Henry Kissinger.
    May the force be with you.

Wow two posts back to back in this thread in summer not by BCJ! :shock:

ESPN: The Uncensored History, as you can guess by the title its a behind the scenes look at ESPN, its start etc. It was a pretty interesting read, the most shocking thing was all of the sexual harassment, the betting and the drug use that went on.

Got another one down, Frank Miller's 300. It was surprisingly close to the movie, or should I say the movie is surprisingly close to the book.

Well, time to start another run of consecutives then!

A bad book, but I give it credit simply because it was an early one. The Coming race by Edward Bulwer-Lytton. Supposedly, it's one of the earliest science fiction novels (it's from the mid-19th century) that seems similar to Journey to the Centre of the Earth or Gulliver's Travels. It's about an American miner who falls into a mine shaft that leads him to an advanced society living below the surface of the earth. There are LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG passages of detail (language analysis, including verb conjugation and pronunciation; facial construction and biology; transportation and technology; social status; etc.), with some paragraphs taking 3 whole pages (he loves the semi-colon). He even includes citations from research books in the narrator's thoughts. There is little action, and when there seemed to be something leading to action, it is resolved within a single (short) paragraph, and the last paragraph (1 1/2 pages) should've been expaned into the epilogue. Sigh... but he was Knighted, so I have nothing I can really complain about.

Two more, which bring my summer total to 20 books (about 4900 pages, 245 pages per)...

The War of the Crowns by Christian Jacq. A semi-historical fiction set in ancient Egypt, it follows the widow of the recent pharaoh, as she tries to raise her son as the new pharaoh to overthrow the evil emperor who took over. It's translated from French, and it reads in a simple style. But the chapters are almost all exactly 5 pages long, and the various conflicts get resolved relatively quickly. It rewards the righteous, and punishes the wicked. Not a bad tale.

Paddington Here and Now by Michael Bond. Hard to believe, but the Paddington series is over 50 years old, and this is set in current days. I forgot how much fun (and subtlely funny) these kids' books have been. The bear has issues with immigration, travel, Halloween, parking, burglars. Just a nice read.