Page 86 of 117 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

I had a coupon and found a couple short SW young adult books, and I was swayed purely by the titles. I finished the first in the series, The Strange Case of Origami Yoda, last night. Funny odd and weird, it's set at McQuarrie Middle School, about a boy who makes a paper finger puppet of Yoda that gives out advice. The second book, Darth Paper Strikes Back is on my shelf.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Last night I finished Shifty's War: The Authorized Biography of Sergeant Darrell "Shifty" Powers, The Legendary Sharpshooter from the BAND OF BROTHERS. If you've read any of the other BoB books this one is pretty much the same, mostly its stories from the war are the same as the other books, its just the before and after parts are different. Thats not to say there aren't good stories in the book. Probably my 'favorite' part was when Shifty described the day after V-E Day: "I went to morning formation wearing nothing other then underwear and I had a bottle of champange in my hand, I was probably in the best condition of any man in my squad."

I finished the latest in the "Chet & Bernie Mysteries" series, The Dog Who Knew Too Much. I love these books, narrated by Chet, a dog. This one is set mainly in "the hills" out of state, instead of the desert valley that the other three books were.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

The second Origami Yoda book, Darth Paper Strikes Back, by Tom Angleberger, was an easy, fast read. More serious than the first, but still fun. According to the back page, not the end is this... for this series, that is.

The Bride of The Far Side by Gary Larson. Ok, it's not much of a 'book'... but it was fun 'reading' none the less.

I read a legitimate book, in the month of October. Hooray! Meetings at the Metaphor cafe, by Bob Pacilio, after he spoke for the students at our school last week. One of my colleagues was quite excited to have him there and in person, and I saw why. Even got him to sign my copy. One of those how-teachers-make-a-difference books, but I don't mean to just pigeonhole it as a "type" of book; it's quite good at tugging at the heartstrings and even chuckle-worthy at times.

Running on empty : An ultramarathoner's story of love, loss, and a record-setting run across America by Marshall Ulrich. Well the title pretty much tells it all, guy becomes a runner, finds out he is great at ultra races...runs across America in 52 days.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Running on empty : An ultramarathoner's story of love, loss, and a record-setting run across America by Marshall Ulrich....runs across America in 52 days.
    Well, roughly 3000 miles across, about 60 miles a day, if he ran half the day and slept the other without taking a day off: averaging about 5 miles per hour. Impressive.

He started off at 70 per day in an attempt to break the record couldn't keep that up so it was changed to 60 which was the 3rd fastest and broke the masters (over 40) and grand masters (over 50) records. He started running around 7-8 then after the first marathon (26.2), slept for a bit, break at 50 miles and then the day was over at 60 which would have been 12 - 2ish.

My knees and ankles and calves remember those days, and then they remember THESE days. I miss running, but not the ruining.