Page 88 of 118 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    But I am creeping closer to 900 books read. Not this week. All-time.
    Here's a suggestion for your next book: http://www.jktoole.com/

(You might find the documentary interesting as well).
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post

I have not read A Confederacy of Dunces before; might have to start there first. Thanks.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Run Less, Run Faster by Bill Pierce, Scott Murr and Ray Moss. Its pretty much as the title says, run less but train faster...if you're not a runner I doubt you care about any more of a report on this book.

The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller. This was recommended to me by a colleague. It's about how a 6th-grade teacher gets her students excited about reading (the good part) and requires 40 books a school year (also great). But some of the other aspects are a bit preachy (despite caveats throughout that say it isn't so) and not how I think about teaching books at other times. It was so-so.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    But some of the other aspects are a bit preachy (despite caveats throughout that say it isn't so) ...
    You mean the old move of "I don't mean to preach" and then proceed to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    You mean the old move of "I don't mean to preach" and then proceed to do that?
    Yes, also under the guise of "you might do it differently, but..."

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post

Well, I finished the book A Confederacy of Dunces. It has that schizo-aspect that hurts books: it is very well constructed, with interesting twists and occasional witty dialogue and imagery. But the overall concept is awful, and the main character is terrible, with no redeeming qualities. There were times I wanted to keep reading and even chuckled aloud; but more often there were instances where I wanted to just set it down (why it took me almost two weeks to get through it). If there was a shake-your-hand-horizontally-up-and-down emoticon, I'd give it that.

I have one more book, and three days left to the year. Company has left too, and I have no other big plans. We shall see if it ends up on the 2011 list. (LISTS... :drool: )

The Voyage of Odysseus retold by James Reeves. No its not the 'real' version by Homer, rather its about a 200ish page book that starts off with the fall of Troy. It was good but man did it seem to drag on, when Odysseus finally gets home after 20 years and 150 pages its still 50 more before the book ends.

My final book of the year, River of Heaven by Lee Martin, was chosen because I realized I had read three other books with an author's last name of Martin. He was a finalist for the Pulitzer (for a different novel), teaches creative writing at The Ohio State University, and had submitted parts of this book to an online writers' site which I have done the same myself. The book was so-so, a sort of mystery tale of secrets. Maybe I should have better ways to determine a book's read-ability.

So, more importantly, here are my reading stats for 2011:
    - 69 total books
    - 18,000 pgs.
    - 261 pgs. per
    Summer:
    - 39 books
    - 10,300 pgs.
    - 264 pgs. per