Page 91 of 116 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Not truly a "book" I read, but with a coupon AND a discount, I had to get some SW book: How to Speak Wookiee bu Wu Kee Smith and JAKe. You can press buttons to hear Chewbacca help you with Shyriiwook in the boardroom, at the mall, playing games, etc. Chuckle-worthy.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

The local history series "Images of America" finally published one for the city in which I've lived since it incorporated; Rancho Cucamonga by Paula Emick. It's short, mainly extended captions of old B&W photos, with nice descriptions. Traces the development of this small city of the decades, and its industries (agriculture, wineries, education, etc.).

I was reading a short story the other night, and realized I was dozing off, so I closed it knowing I'd come back the next day. Unfortunately, as I feared, when I got back to it, the story only had 5 pages left, so I had an unsatisfying reading experience.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Just learned of a book written by a retired colleague, so I've ordered it from Amazon. Looking forward to reading it!

http://www.amazon.com/Beat-Michael-P.../dp/1770676740
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MFDubai3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	25952

Have you guys seen this pic? A French guy photoshopped SW stuff in real world situations. This is one of my fav's.

I a couple weeks, my Sci-Fi book club's theme is Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy. I'd read the first book (I forget its title... ); last year, and wasn't super-duper impressed (but it was still quite good). But in trying to have the whole series read and not get spoilerized during the discussions, I found the second book to be very good (probably better than the original), and I just started the third one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I a couple weeks, my Sci-Fi book club's theme is Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy. I'd read the first book (I forget its title... ); last year, and wasn't super-duper impressed (but it was still quite good). But in trying to have the whole series read and not get spoilerized during the discussions, I found the second book to be very good (probably better than the original), and I just started the third one.
    One of my friends in a high school teacher. One of her English teacher colleagues had her students read the Hunger Games about two years ago, long before it was going to be made into a movie, and recommended it. I've been aiming to pick it up but just haven't.

I'll wait to post SPOILER comments once I've finished the whole series (I'm only 70-some pages into Mockingjay, the final one), but here's what I posted here in this very thread after reading HG:

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry, Hungry Bel-Cam, from 9/15/10
    My sci-fi book club chose The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It was quite good, but I didn't love it as much as some of the members did. It's a YA version of The Running Man and "reality" TV shows, but pretty violent and gory at times.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Just learned of a book written by a retired colleague, so I've ordered it from Amazon. Looking forward to reading it!

http://www.amazon.com/Beat-Michael-P.../dp/1770676740
    Finished it last night. I was privy to the facts, or had actually worked some of the cases about which were chronicled. I can ride Mike's coattails and use his work as a reference as to what it was like working in law enforcement. I just wish I were retired like Mike....
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Finished the very last Sherlock Holmes stories (the Conan Doyle ones), I kinda slowed down to savor the last 2, and I guess I hadn't read that last book before because I didn't remember the 2nd-to-last story being total bullcrap, and the very last story was eye-rollingly-obvious from the earliest explanation of the wounds.

Now I have to decide if I'm going to drop $14 on the Darth Plagueis Kindle edition right now, or read some of the free books I already have on my Kindle, or maybe put some time into Making of ESB which I haven't done yet (I don't like reading big heavy books).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.