Page 93 of 118 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

I'm 3/4s of the way through Splinter of the Minds Eye. Since it was written before a lot of the SW canon was established, it's interesting. I remember starting and stopping this book several times, but don't think I'd ever finished it.

Another unusual mix.

Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston. She came to speak at our library's Asian Pacific Islander Month kickoff event this month, and those who attended it got a free signed copy of the book. Last summer, on a drive back from Reno, I stopped at the Manzanar site, too. I'd read excerpts of FtM before, but never read the entire book. A simple style, easy to understand, of a time period where we probably don't understand how and why what happened did happen (even though the "why" has been explained for decades ).

Peter & the Sword of Mercy by Dave Barry & Ridley Pearson. Another in the Peter Pan YA series. Pretty good, with more world history in this one (Charlemagne, London and English geography, Edward the Confessor, et al). A fast read, even at a 2"+ thick book spine.
    "That's what Sheev said."

These next reads have a negative side to each.

Where Things Come back by John Corey Whaley. A colleague (who did a Skype interview with the author in her classes) recommended this book. It fits into the rare like/hate category: I really liked its construction (characters, allusions, plot weaving, dialogue, interesting concepts) but hated how I found myself in the book (I believe this was the most intensive connections to characters I've read in a long time; I was actually literally shaken up after reading it and needed some unwind time). Set in an Arkansas small town, it deals with various intersecting storylines mainly about a teenager's life, losses, and loves (hey; alliteration! ).

The Hoarder in You by Robin Zasio, one of the people with the Hoarders TV show. As a collector, I wondered if their definitions of "hoarder" would fit me. It just confirmed that I have some of my collecting under control; I'd be a 2 or 3 on their 5-point continuum (or called a "clutterer" I guess) of hoarding tendencies. I wasn't interested in a self-help book, but there were a few helpful aspects.

After all the hype, and time that passed, I finally got to Pride & Prejudice & Zombies by Seth Graham-Smith (and Jane Austen). It was really just silly, but the "zombie mayhem" made the slow, plodding British countryside narrative tolerable. I don't recall the word "pride" being used so often in the original novel, and the amount of vomit, inuendo, and "balls" jokes was more than necessary. Funny, dull, witty, boring; it had it all?

The Art of Ralph McQuarrie was a little awkward to read (it's in Japanese, so I used the companion translation booklet) but if you just studied the artwork, the words just added more detail.

I have now crossed the summer 10-books read plateau, about 2700 pages. So far. My summer goal is always 30 books. Or more.

Aleph by Paulo Coelho. I have liked almost all his books I've read, but this is easily my least favorite of those. It's listed as "fiction," and it is, but he makes himself the main character in his own life. Basically, it's his weeks-long journey on the Trans-Siberian railroad on a book signing tour, and the group that travels with him. The woman who forces him to let her join is annoying, selfish, and arrogant (even though she is supposed to be inspiring for her forcefulness and confidence); the translator is the best person (but his flaws are not fully rounded and make him flat); and the comments on life seemed trite and cliched to me. Sad to hear, but this was not as good as I'd have liked.

Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett. I'll have to go back and check out JediTricks' reviews of it. [edit: that was over 2 years ago here? wow; time flies...] A very well-constructed crime mystery classic, set in a northern CA crime-ridden city; the not-named detective who is hell-bent on cleaning up the corruption there spouts all the gangster jargon and slang, and more. The last chapter is the one that wraps up all the loose ends, just like detective novels used to do. Hey; this was written in the days when that happened. A great read. Better than the SW EU book of the same title.

I'll give some others a chance to post in this thread after this.

I Had a Hammer by Henry Aaron & Lonnie Wheeler. His autobio was in chronological order, with a strong memory; most of his MLB days I knew about (but not the extent of the hate mail he received, not only during the Ruth chase, but throughout his career), but I'd heard almost nothing of his Negro League and minor league days. I have to soapbox for a bit: people say I have good patience with others, but Aaron's was far beyond mine. Stupid, ignorant, racist, hateful, selfish people need to be put in their places; I have only to hope that karma really exists to turn around the awful things they wrote (some would put today's internet spelling and grammar at Shakespearean levels) and said to him. Those parts made me sick to share the earth with those idiotic humans, especially those who wrote that they weren't being racist or cruel but "truthful." The book was good, just like the man. Maybe that's what I should take from it, rather than the hatred.

Ever since the layoffs and other bloodshed, I haven't had time to do any recreational reading to any real degree. I'm at work more than home and that's getting really tiring...
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

SEAL Target Geronimo by Chuck Pfaffar. One of the first books released about the mission to take out Osama Bin Laden in Mau 2011. Pfarrar is a former SEAL himself and interviewed a lot of the parties involved (names changed to protect their identity, of course). Interesting read.

Darth Maul: Saboteur. Reread the short story at the end of the Maul: Shadow Hunter. Someone gave me the paperback version with the story included. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I Had a Hammer by Henry Aaron & Lonnie Wheeler.
    GREAT BOOK! Even if you're not a baseball fan I think most 'anybody' should like this one even if you're not a baseball fan.

Tread Lightly: Form, Footwear, and the Quest for Injury-Free Running by Peter Larson and Bill Katovsky. The name pretty much gives away the subject matter. Its a pretty good book about running, not the best but not bad. I'm a big fan of Dr. Larson's blog runblogger.com so it was kinda natural for me to get his book.

I've been reading some of the short stories from the old SW Adventure Journals. Some are pretty decent, others are so-so. Too bad I don't have more of the journals; they're pretty cool.