Page 95 of 117 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    In recognition of his recent passing, I picked up Donald Sobol's Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Disgusting Sneakers. I had forgotten how much I liked these books (I think I read 15 of them in one summer as a kid, IIRC), even though they're really simplistic. But what do you expect from a 5-7 page "mystery" case. I figured out only four of the ten cases properly, and got a couple more close to right. LOL'd at the part where the dad has a bus schedule in his pocket to let the boys go downtown, so his son (not EB) can return a chess pamphlet to another teen who threatened to "kill him" if it wasn't returned to him by 4pm.
    The wife and I were talking Donald Sobol/Encylopedia Brown the other day, after hearing about his passing. The one story that stands out in my mind involves melting ice cubes in a glass inside a wall safe.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47150 View Post
    The wife and I were talking Donald Sobol/Encylopedia Brown the other day, after hearing about his passing. The one story that stands out in my mind involves melting ice cubes in a glass inside a wall safe.
    I believe I first learned about palindromes from EB books; the culprit who stole the item in that case wrote LEVEL, NOON, RACECAR, etc. on a paper to accuse Anna (IIRC) of the theft.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Somewhere in the house, packed away, I still have several EB books, including one five-book set I received as a Christmas present 30+ years ago.

I downloaded one of the Lost Jedi ebooks earlier tonight. Can't wait to read it.

Took down three in the last two weeks: Training for Young Distance Runners, Sport Physiology for Coaches and Peak When It Counts. All are running related and all are on the suggested reading list for the USA track and field conference I"m attending this weekend.

As of tomorrow, my summer ends. But I did get to read one more book. Thomas Steinbeck's The Silver Lotus. John's son wrote a novel set in turn-of-the-century central coastal California (no surprise) and China about a ship captain who marries the daughter of a wealthy Cantonese businessman, and how their lives progress over the years. A little too convenient, and much of the hints are easily predictable. Very wordy and detailed, and surprisingly little dialogue (just 3rd person narration); but still not bad.

So, here are the '12 summer statistics:

36 books read, about 9,500 pgs. (264 pgs. per)

Authors read by last letter of names:
    One of each letter except: A = 3, B = 2, C = 2, F = 2, H = 3, P = 2, S [the most] = 6, W = 2
    None of these letters: D, L, V, X (still haven't read a 'V' or 'X' at all in 2012)

Books read by genres:
    Auto-/Biography (6), General Fiction (6), Sci-Fi (4), Young Adult (4), Star Wars (3), Mystery (3), Western (2), Movies/Comics (2), Education (2), Humor (1), History (1), Romance (1), Self Help (1)

9 year totals: 265 books, about 70,900 pgs. (267 pgs. per)

Sigh. No more time to read so easily.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

...nocked out a couple more over the weekend...

1) Eat & Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness by Scott Jurek with Steve Friedman. Scott who's orginally from Duluth, Mn is an ultramarathon running legend and a vegan. The book told his story and gave recipies for some stuff that looked pretty good. And

2) Take The Lead: A Revolutionary Approach To Coaching Cross Country by Scott Simmons and Will Freeman. I listened to Will lecture over the weekend at a USA track and field Level 1 clinic and he had his book for sale. It was pretty good, although much of what he said in the book was said in his talks.

Darth Bane: Rule of Two. Started reading this as my book when I went to the YMCA. Read 150+ pages at work last week. I enjoyed it. Boy, the Jedi are a little dense.

14 Minutes: A Running Legends Life, Death and Life by Alberto Salazar. Alberto was the best distance runner in the world in the late 70's/early 80's. Today he is the coach of double Olympic gold medalist Mo Farah and 10,000 meter silver medalist Galen Rupp. The "14 minutes" comes from when Alberto had a heart attack and his heart stopped beating for.... yup, 14 minutes.

The Original Journals of The Lewis and Clark Expedition: Volume III, Parts 1 & 2, Edited by Reuben Gold Thwaites. Although I read the majority of this book this year its been an on and off again experience...I'm not even sure I started this book last year. This particular book starts from the Rocky mountains and continues to Fort Clatsop along the Oregon coast.

Alan Dean Foster wrote the movie novelization to Krull. I didn't think it was possible, but the book is somehow chessier than the movie. I forgot how awesome the photos (sometimes, they were in COLOR! ) in the middle were when we read movie novels; they teased the reader to go see the big screen version.