Page 96 of 117 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Tales from the New Republic. I picked up a copy of this to read at C6: on the plane, in the hotel room, etc... Thoroughly enjoying it. Read the Zahn/Stackpole story while enroute to Orlando. I like the different variety.

Fletch and the Man Who by Gregory Mcdonald (who seems to spell his name without the capitalized 'D'). There's a series of books about the character that Chevy Chase played, and I think I may have read all or part of the movie novelization (or even the one the movie was based upon) before, but I can't prove it. This was on my book shelf, not too long, and after reading it, fairly decent. "the "Man Who" title comes from the "the man who would be[come] President" idea, and I.M. Fletcher is hired on as his replacement press rep. I found the candidate's speech about needing a global communications network oddly predicted; could he have imagined Facebook posts and Instagram food pics, though?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Instant Replay: The Green Bay Diary of Jerry Kramer, by Jerry Kramer with Dick Schapp. The book revolves around Krammer's diary (he played right guard for the Packers from 58-68) from the 1967 season. What happened then that was so interesting you ask? Three things: 1) Lombardi, 2) Ice Bowl, 3) Super Bowl II. Reading it today it really shows the differences between todays game and the game back then.

City of Gold by Len Deighton. A WWII thriller set around the time of El Alamein. Part of it was wrapped in truth, that there was a spy working for Rommel, feeding him info on the Brits. It was okay.

The issue I've had this summer when it comes to reading is, a book starts out okay but it's not as good as I expect, so I sit it down for a while and read something else.

Confessions of A Prairie B*tch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated by Alison Arngrim. This book was awesome, Alison was on a local radio station this summer to pimp her being at a local living histoy museum's "Little House days" and she told stories from the book and her life. It sounded like it'd be a good read and it certainly was. Alison tells her life story and it wasn't all good. I don't want to give away too much she went through some series problems growing up. Of course the Little House stuff took up the majority of the book so if you watched the show as a kid you'll like the book.

The fifth in the Chet and Bernie mysteries, A Fistful of Collars by Spencer Quinn, was pretty decent, but not as strong as some of the first books in the series. I also read an ebook (first one I actually PAID MONEY for, not just a free download) called "A Cat Was Involv ed," which explains how Chet the dog and Bernie Little the detective first meet (I liked the ebook more). The Little Detective Agency is hired to watch an action star who's in town to film a western film. More serious in tone than the fun others, some downer moments, but to be honest, the characters are more well-rounded now and deeper. I wasn't sure how it would end, but not really any surprises.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

A Cold Dish. The first of the Walt Longmire mysteries. My mother-in-law lent me her copy. This particular book was made into one of the eps that aired on A&E but there's more detail, more interesting characters we weren't shown or haven't seen yet.

What may be my only book read this month: Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Started out pretty good, but since it's a sort of end-of-the-world story, ends less well. Interesting concept and oddly designed; still a good quick read (under 200 pages, about 120 chapters).

Supervolcano Explosion! by Harry Turtledove. The alt history writer dives into s story about the caldera under Yellowstone which wait for it...becomes a supervolcano. Not his best work but still pretty good.

Hey, I did read another book this month: The Last Testament: A Memoir by God and David Javerbaum. Blasphemous and absolutely hilarious throughout; it's written in King James' style wording and verse form, with slang and colloqialisms, from the POV of the Allmighty, the Lord of Lords, Jevohah himself. If I told you the author was a Daily Show head writer, that'd explain things. Great read.