Quote Originally Posted by OC47150 View Post
I tried to read Diamonds several times but, you're absolutely right: it's slow.

From Russia With Love is one of my all-time favorites. I reread it every couple of years. Read Goldfinger about two years ago.
Finished Diamonds, the ending really isn't a worthy payoff to the story but the emotional impact for Bond works out well enough.

I read From Russia with Love right afterwards, and it's very good but again the payoff really isn't enough for so much fantastic setup, the movie is actually much more satisfying in a lot of ways, the villains are more rounded and get more time to do stuff, especially at the end. Plus, == Bond doesn't get killed in the movie. == Still, quite good.

I was going to put off Dr. No until Jan 1st so I could borrow it for free, at $8 a pop on Kindle (they were $7.00 each for the 50th anniversary of Bond in Cinema in November, went up to $7.99 in Dec) they were affordable but not cheap enough to go hog wild on, but the day after I finished From Russia with Love Amazon had a 1-day special with all the books on Kindle for $1.99 each, so I bought 7 out of the last 9 and since I can borrow 1 per month, I borrowed The Spy Who Loved Me and will borrow The Man with the Golden Gun in February (they are the worst-reviewed Fleming novels in the series).

Anyway, started on Dr. No but have been slow-playing it so far, it's good and is already better than the beginning of the film, but Bond's ability to read situations is still off which is an odd thing to see since it's natural for a person but weird to watch a writer intentionally hobble his character for 2 stories in a row.