Page 101 of 117 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1163

Thread: Reading!

Finished The Spy Who Loved Me, the second half of this book could have been Raymond Chandler the way it went down, no spycraft at all, but very much felt like something Philip Marlowe might have done having found himself in that situation. I think the point about Bond being part of a dark, dangerous, unheroic world is lost here, it's more words than deeds, had Fleming gone back and reworked this book I think it would have been received as a success - the main protagonist is a pretty rounded Bond girl and she shoots back, she thinks about what's going on - it's just that there's no balance to this story, and no espionage (not that Bond is a particularly espionage-heavy series anyway, but it's never played less of a role so far than it failed to here). The worst part is that Fleming had he not put Bond in the story basically would have crafted a serviceable romance novel, obviously that wasn't the intention.

From Russia With Love is a pretty good book, but I actually like the movie more, there's more spycraft and Tania is a more rounded character, Bond is colder, and the ending is drawn out more.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Dave Barry's newest, Insane City was slow going for me. By the end, there were a couple eye-openers, but sadly, not enough LOL moments (many smiles and silent chuckles). Another novel set in Miami (surprise) where strange characters come together against the clock. Pretty good.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Running Water by Abraham Louis Clark. Abe is from NE Wisconsin (like me) and a graduate of UW-Green Bay (also like me). Abe was the 15th person to run across the United States solo and unsupported. Abe ran across the country to raise money to help dig wells in underdeveloped countries. It was a pretty good read, albeit it was a quick one and I would have liked to have read more about his equipment and how he did it.

Against All Enemies, Tom Clancy. Took a break from the Janet Evanovich books at the gym and read this relatively new Clancy book in about 2 1/2 weeks. Fast-paced, not as plodding as some of his other stuff. A good stand-alone novel.

Finished "For Your Eyes Only", a pretty decent James Bond short story collection. The idea that Ian Fleming wanted 4 of the 5 stories to be an unproduced Bond TV show's episodes is astounding, they're bold ideas for '50s TV and really for today's TV. Had CBS made that show, this would be a somewhat different world we live in, I think.

Some of the stories were straightforward endeavors, some showed how little espionage is found in James Bond tales, and the one where an old diplomat told Bond a story was the most compelling one of all - hard to believe they wrote such a bland movie around that title (Quantum of Solace).

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Relentless Forward Progress: A Guide To Running Ultramarathons by Byron Powell. Its a(nother) about ultramarathon training. I'm not completly sure what events I'll be doing in 2013 but I am considering doing my first ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Finished "For Your Eyes Only", a pretty decent James Bond short story collection.
    Does this book contain the classic "For British Eyes Only," where Bond has to deal with the Poppins in his quest to find the mysterious Mr. F?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Does this book contain the classic "For British Eyes Only," where Bond has to deal with the Poppins in his quest to find the mysterious Mr. F?
    That whole Arrested Development arc was the show's weakest moment.

BTW here are the stats for this thread right now:

Replies: 1,007
    Views: 113,873
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    That whole Arrested Development arc was the show's weakest moment.
    You say that as if it still wasn't better than any other sitcom in history, with the possible exception of I Love Lucy or Seinfeld.
    Tommy, close your eyes.