Thread: Reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    BTW here are the stats for this thread right now:

Replies: 1,007
    Views: 113,873
    http://www.sirstevesguide.com/images...es/biggrin.gif
    NOBODY ELSE LOOK AT THIS THREAD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    You say that as if it still wasn't better than any other sitcom in history, with the possible exception of I Love Lucy or Seinfeld.
    Would it be too rude to suggest that statement makes me think I should check you for a "MR M" bracelet?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

C'mon, Michael almost getting in a head-on collision every time he went to Wee Britain wasn't funny?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    BTW here are the stats for this thread right now:

Replies: 1,007
    Views: 113,873
    Is that you're own personal replies and views?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    C'mon, Michael almost getting in a head-on collision every time he went to Wee Britain wasn't funny?
    I'd say the same thing minus the question mark.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

At school, we received some free books related to education, inspiration, motivation, techniques, and more. The one I picked was Simon Sinek's Start With Why. This 228-page book could have been much, much shorter, as his message was simple: why you do something is always more important than what or how you do it. His examples are repetitive, they were repetitive, and were based on faulty assumptions and generalizations. I want to know how much money Apple and Southwest Airlines paid him for this. Ugh. Well, it was free...
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Lions of Kandahar. About a battle by an outnumbered Special Forces unit against numerically larger Taliban force in southern Afghanistan in 2005 or 2006. Written by one of the SF officers in charge.

No Easy Day by Mark Snow. Written by one of the SEALs who went on the Bin Laden raid. I recommend it to anyone who's interested in military history and/or special operations forces. The Bin Laden raid took up about half the book; the first part was about Snow's selection/training/missions with DEVGRU. It's a fast read; I got through it in a week.

Spring break means time to read. Two books, and not Star Wars ones either...

Change Up: An Oral History of 8 Key Events that Shaped Modern Baseball by Larry Burke, Peter Thomas Fornatale, & Jim Burke (what, couldn't find five more guys to match a name with each event? ). They interviewed individuals associated with these significant happenings with the sport (Japanese players, Latin players, the DH, Frank Robinson as manager, players' union, Ripken's Streak, book Ball Four, and the '62 Mets and expansion). Interesting to read, and a good lead-in to the newest baseball season.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I saw the film first and really liked it. The book is good, but the film is better; although, I now understand more of the film after having read it. Funniest part? When his father tells of those who wanted the animals to look better, he says something like, "What? Next it'll be nose jobs for the rhinoceros." (get it?) But it's told very well, and is just as moving and detailed as the film was.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Extreme Measures by Vince Flynn. I hadn't read any of Flynn's other works. It was decent. Expected more action than political intrigue.

Thunderball, which so far has been a cleaner, leaner version of the movie's events, and includes focus on a "much more interesting than the cinematic version" Blofeld. But at the same time, the opening material isn't as driving as the movie's twist on the health sanitarium, Count Lippe is a much simpler fellow in the book and it's not nearly as compelling.

I was 50 pages into Fate of the Jedi: Backlash before I realized I'd read this one before. Silly me. On to FOTJ: Allies.