Page 108 of 117 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1162

Thread: Reading!

Churchill's Secret Agent: A Novel Based on a True Story. An interesting read written by Max and Linda Ciampoli about a Frenchman who goes on special missions assigned to him by Churchill himself during WWII. I'm gonna investigate this tale a little more to see how much is true and how much is fiction.

Supervolcano: Things Fall Apart by Harry Turtledove. This is the third book in the super volcano series by HT. In short, the super valcano under Yellowstone goes off, US isn't doing so well. The story follows a family in SoCal.

Have you read the other two books, JJB? I have just read the first, and I was "meh"smerized by my lack of character empathy (interesting premise, though).
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Have you read the other two books, JJB? I have just read the first, and I was "meh"smerized by my lack of character empathy (interesting premise, though).
    Yup, I've read a TON of Turtledove, its not his best work(s) but its still decent. The best imho is his alt series on the Civil War/WWI/WWII.

I've only read the first in his Supervolcano series, and IIRC, Alternative Generals II, which I believe I got from a used book store, about what-ifs with military losses/victories. Not bad, not awesome.

Yeah I've read one of those that had multiple authors each taking their spin on a 'what if this had/hadn't happened', I find those to be a mixed bag.

This is the series I was talking about in my earlier post. Actually its 1 stand alone book, two series of 3 books each and one 4 book series. You don't need to read them all to follow the story, but of course its better that way.
    http://turtledove.wikia.com/wiki/Southern_Victory

My slow trek through the Lewis and Clark universe continues with my finishing of The Original Journals of The Lewis and Clark Expedition: Volume IV Parts 1 & 2.eedited by Reuban Gold Thwaits

I don't remember if I have (or anyone else has) asked you about your interest in L + C, JJB. So, what's your interest in Lewis & Clark, JJB?

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I don't remember if I have (or anyone else has) asked you about your interest in L + C, JJB. So, what's your interest in Lewis & Clark, JJB?
    I got hooked on them about ten years ago (right before the bicentennial of the expedition), I think what they did was amazing. And while the journals can be painfully dry at times they are an amazing set of documents. Over 300 species identified, accurate maps of the west etc. granted they did plenty wrong as well, but by and large it was good.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    I got hooked on them about ten years ago (right before the bicentennial of the expedition), I think what they did was amazing. And while the journals can be painfully dry at times they are an amazing set of documents. Over 300 species identified, accurate maps of the west etc. granted they did plenty wrong as well, but by and large it was good.
    Have I recommended William Least Heat Moon's River Horse, where he traces their route via waterways while interjecting information about their journals and history, to you before?