Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Star Wars Rebels Reusable Bags with Trading Cards at Subway

Looks like Disney has switched allegiances with the restaurant responsible with handling the Star Wars license. Subway just started their latest kid's meal promotion based on the upcoming Star Wars Rebels television show. The "toys" for the promotion are reusable bags that come with trading cards. There are 6 bags total.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subway Bags.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	28460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue Bag.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	28461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yellow Bag.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	28462   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Bag.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	28463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Purple Bag.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	28464  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Bag.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	28465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grey Bag.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	28466  
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Disney and McDonalds parted ways about 8 years ago, and Subway is I believe the second-most popular. That said, these are pretty ignorable promo items, I'm surprised they went with such a small launch item.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Disney and McDonalds parted ways about 8 years ago, and Subway is I believe the second-most popular.
    Yeah, its not a big surprise. Disney has been in bed with Subway for sometime now. With last year's Angry Birds Star Wars promo at McDonalds though (which Lucasfilm was already owned by Disney at that point if I'm remembering right) you would of thought that they would of went with Subway immediately, not stick with McDonalds. Then there are the more recent Amazing Spider-Man 2 promos for McDonalds (during theatrical release) and now White Castle (DVD release). I was just a bit hopeful it would of stayed with McDonalds. Then I remembered Disney technically doesn't own Spider-Man, Sony does (from a movie standpoint). Which probably explains those promos. The Star Wars Angry Birds pails at McDonald's last year on the other hand was probably just a similar case to the Dark Horse/Marvel thing with the Star Wars comics (waiting out the old contract to expire).
    That said, these are pretty ignorable promo items, I'm surprised they went with such a small launch item.
    Going to have to get used to it I'm afraid. I think these lunch bags are the only "toys" Subway ever offers for any kid's meal promo for at least the past several years now. Not certain if Subway does adult promo items (like watches, collectible cups, etc.), but I don't think they do. Maybe some special food packaging or a contest. Definitely takes some wind out of "things to look forward to for the sequel trilogy" compared to the prequel trilogy's restaurant promos if this is all we have to look forward to. On the plus side though, I got all six bags and cards today with just one visit. So they aren't super difficult to get (in the "I have to make multiple calls/trips over a span of several weeks to get them all" sense). They also look fairly nice... for what they are (at least a little bit better in person than in the website photos). The trading cards are probably the best part of the promo.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces

Hmm, normally I'm all in for the restaurant promos but the Angry Birds pails were boring (I only got one) and I'm not sure if I'll pick these up. Alas, the KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut days of 1999 and Burger King days of 2005 are long gone.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I did not know about these. I doubt I'd get all of them, but maybe one. Could pick up the set of cards online, mebbe.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

The McDonalds Angry Birds SW one likely was a deal signed before Disney bought Lucasfilm, even though the promotion came after. Disney shops their promos around, but they seem to have bad feelings with McDonalds or something as there hasn't been much between them lately.

Subway used to have actual toys, even school supplies that were cooler than "a bag and a card". Yeesh.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Subway used to have actual toys, even school supplies that were cooler than "a bag and a card". Yeesh.
    Out of curiosity I've been doing a little bit of research and it appears Subway started the "bag and a card" thing instead of toys starting late 2009 when they retooled the kid's meal into the "Fresh Fit for Kids" meal. So I think its safe to say any/all future Star Wars kids meal promos from them in the foreseeable future will be similar to this promo.

I bought one on the way home from work yesterday. You get the card IN the bag, plus the food (which includes a 4" sub, fruit, and choice of non-soda drink [I chose chocolate milk over juice box or chocolate-less milk]) for $4.50. Hey; that price for one trading card with FREE FOOD, an armpit bag (not designed for bigger-than-kids ), and a drink? Count me in!

Or, I may have just bought my last one. The cards (I got Stormtrooper) seem decent, but I don't know if I NEED to complete this set. I mean, I don't even collect the cards, but...
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    Out of curiosity I've been doing a little bit of research and it appears Subway started the "bag and a card" thing instead of toys starting late 2009 when they retooled the kid's meal into the "Fresh Fit for Kids" meal. So I think its safe to say any/all future Star Wars kids meal promos from them in the foreseeable future will be similar to this promo.
    Assuming they stay with Subway, which may not happen. Then again, national exposure for this really can't come from a lot of sources, so it's McDonalds, Subway, or Taco Bell -- nobody is going to be buying Arbys kids meals, assuming they even have kids meals; and I just don't see Carl's Jr/Hardees being a good fit, they're not big with kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I bought one on the way home from work yesterday. You get the card IN the bag, plus the food (which includes a 4" sub, fruit, and choice of non-soda drink [I chose chocolate milk over juice box or chocolate-less milk]) for $4.50. Hey; that price for one trading card with FREE FOOD, an armpit bag (not designed for bigger-than-kids ), and a drink? Count me in!

Or, I may have just bought my last one. The cards (I got Stormtrooper) seem decent, but I don't know if I NEED to complete this set. I mean, I don't even collect the cards, but...
    Well played on that last line.

Assuming they stay with Subway, which may not happen.
    I think its wishful thinking at this point that it will go to anyone but Subway given all the stuff I've read the past few days. Disney apparently made some pledge in 2006 that it'll have none of its mascots or owned properties regularly associated with food that promotes the epidemic that is childhood obesity, which seems to be the big reason they quit working with McDonalds on a regular basis at around that time. Disney then later praised Subway's commitment to a pledge they apparently made in 2009 to be both healthy for kids and for the environment, hence the reusable bags instead of toys. Add to it every major promotion for a Disney owned movie/show/franchise I have found since 2009 has been at Subway with the exception of the Angry Bird Star Wars Pails and the Amazing Spider-Man movie stuff, which can be explained away due to other circumstances in play... I think Star Wars at Subway is here to stay.