Disney Store Elite die cast metal TFA R2-D2 6" figure

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disney Store R2-D2-106.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	29074

Last year, Disney Store had an exclusive multi-pack of their Elite Series 6" figures at D23 Expo, which included an exclusive R2-D2 and C-3PO. Some of the figures in that very expensive multi-pack still haven't come out, but Disney Store finally released The Force Awakens repaints of those figures in their regular stores at $25 each.

I picked up the R2 figure, my store didn't have 3PO but the red arm doesn't do it for me anyway.

Let's get the height thing out of the way first. This line is supposed to be 1:12th scale, but R2 here is 4.25" (10.79cm) tall, scaled up that's 4' 3" (129.5cm). R2-D2 is 3' 7" (109.2cm), a 1:12th scaled ideal version would be 3.58" (9.09cm). Doing the math, that's a scale difference of 8" (20cm), which means the figure out of scale is a hair over half an inch (1.3cm) too tall for the claimed scale, about 18% too much, which is simply too big for fitting in with the Hasbro figures. (By comparison, the Hasbro Black Series R2-D2 is 3.25" which is a scale 3' 3", a 4" scale difference, so that figure is 9% too small for scale with that line. Disney Store's figure is the same size as the Kotobukiya ArtFX+ version which is marketed as 1:10th scale.)

Name:	Disney Store R2-D2-101.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	29078

On the flip side of that coin though is you have a figure that's nearly all die-cast metal, in fact it's easier to just mention what's plastic:
    - the 3 small holoprojectors on the dome
    - the ankle boxes and wires
    - middle upper leg
    - 3 plugs covering rear screw holes
    That's all the plastic there is. This figure is virtually all die-cast metal, it weighs 14.3 ounces, nearly a pound.

So here's the pros and cons on this figure:

PROS
    - nearly all metal
    - real metal has a unique sheen even when painted
    - blue paint is the right shade, not too dark
    - solid, hefty figure with strong joints
    - middle leg on retractable lock, springs to right position
    - dome, hips, ankles articulated
    - dome sculpt curve more accurate than Kotobukiya's ArtFX+ figure, looks amazing with ArtFX+ C-3PO
    - a decent amount of paint details
    - very nice weathered paint
    - the 3 rear screw holes are filled in with matching sculpt plugs
    - sculpted "wheels" underneath are painted black
    - included oval plastic "Star Wars" figure stand with peg that fits Hasbro Black Series (R2 has no peg hole, nor a need for one)

Name:	Disney Store R2-D2-108.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	29072

CONS
    - too big for 1:12th scale
    - sculpted detail is not as sharp as plastic, the panel around the radar eye is missing details
    - front holoprojector is unpainted black despite top one painted silver entirely and rear one painted silver around base, this is a design choice for whatever reason
    - radar eye is too big
    - visible small hinge pin at middle foot's ankle joint
    - no gadgets or opening panels
    - die-cast finish on dome has a few small imperfections at bottom edge, and noticeable bump at sculpted seam
    - and the pickiest of nits, body is sculpted asymmetrically so the seam at the side is just ahead of the midpoint, the hips center to this seam rather than to the body; ankle joints set slightly behind foot midpoint; you either bend the legs slightly back or accept the asymmetry from the side

WATCH OUT FOR
    - weathering paint; except for the one I bought, the dozen I saw at Disney Store had more weathering on the body than I was interested in because this is the TFA character (so he's supposed to be dusty) but I wanted a more overall look

Name:	Disney Store R2-D2-103.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	29077

OVERALL
    My original assessment was fairly positive to begin with. There's something intangibly wonderful about a die-cast metal R2-D2, made even better by a nice paint job. But there's the scale issue that can't be ignored. Then I put this figure with Koto's ArtFX+ C-3PO, who had previously been dogged by the underwhelming sculpt of that ArtFX+ R2, and Disney Store's Elite Series R2-D2 became amazing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disney Store R2-D2-102.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	29079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disney Store R2-D2-104.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	29076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disney Store R2-D2-105.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	29075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disney Store R2-D2-107.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	29073   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disney Store R2-D2-109.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	29071  

Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

Kylo Ren - came from Space Brooklyn, although he moved to Space Williamsburg before it was trendy.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.