Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (spoilers)

The book comes out tomorrow, so as you read, or after you've read it, feel free to post your thoughts. A prize to the one who reads it first. *

p.s. I think that Anakin will end up fighting Obi-Wan!
    (What? Oh, sorry. Wrong popular series)

* prize subject to whether it exists or not
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (spoilers)

Well, I'm sad to say that I have not yet finished it; I could only get through the first 20 chapters (it has 30). Stupid life getting in the way of young adult fiction... Anyway, my impressions so far:

- So, Snape is/is not a real bad guy, eh? The Unbreakable Vow scene certainly makes it lean more towards the "is" side, but Rowling leaves just enough doubt.

- Harry has sort of matured, but I see him as more thinker/talker than act-er now. However, he seems to be letting others make the first move, then he reacts to that. Interesting way to develop your protagonist, Ms. JKR.

- I love the insights into Tom/Voldemort's history, and I'm not as impatient as Harry is to find out why these are Dumbledore's "lessons" for him (again, that wait-and-see quality coming up).

- "The Half-Blood Prince" is the name of chapter 9. Interesting that he isn't shown there. Hmm...

- Wonder when Harry'll actually use that Felix Felicis potion. I can hear Han Solo say "Good luck... you're gonna need it."

- Also a great aspect to integrate the story into "real" Muggle life, by using the Prime Minister (i.e. of England) and current worldwide feelings in a world of heightened security and distrust. The second line of the book has some not-so-subtle commentary on this.

Looking (read: drooling) to get this one read soon. I can't wait!

I think my wife wins the "no prize" prize. She stayed up until 7:00am Saturday morning and finished the book. And then started it over when she got up the next day.

I didn't read it, but my wife told me all about it (in mind numbing detail). She thought it kinda dragged until the last quarter of the book and then it really picked up. She also got the feeling that the book could have been 2,000 pages. And a final thought ***SPOILER***

She doesn't think it was the "real" Dumbledore that was killed. Something about one of his hands, she said.

I may yet give it a read, but after "Prisoner..." I may just stick to the movies.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

so it seems i'm the first forumite to finish? or is everyone else just holding their silence? as mentioned the book seems to move somewhat slowly at first. the finish is somewhat rushed and contrived as each of the previous books has led us to expect. i'm going to re-read the series, as i expect this book will contain plotholes like the others.

Here's another spoiler care of the people at Your The Man Now Dog. Wouldn't you have been ****ed if someone had done this to you in line at B&N?

Link
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Dude, that's awesome!

Thumbs up Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (spoilers)

WOW.

That was the first thought I had after finishing. The phrase I thought of next was "So, Dumbledore is dead and Harry's going to drop out of school, eh?" This IS a spolier thread afterall, so no need to hide details.

- I think that maybe one of Hagrid's animals was in that funeral shroud.

- I still think Snape's on the good side. Remember, Dumbledore asked Harry to find Snape to help. Snape's a double-double-double agent; one of those "he thinks I know he knows that I know he knows" deals.

- The prophesy said neither could be alive if the other lived, but does it really mean Harry and Voldemort? What about Harry and Dumbledore? We don't seem to truly mature until we can stand on our own. Hmm? Hmm?

- I wonder how Harry and Draco will react when they meet again (you know it has to happen).

- I was completely taken by surprised at who was the Half-Blood Prince. It makes perfect sense, of course.

- The big question will be "who is R.A.B.?"

One of the best HP books, IMHO. Great job, Ms. Rowling!

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    I still think Snape's on the good side. Remember, Dumbledore asked Harry to find Snape to help. Snape's a double-double-double agent; one of those "he thinks I know he knows that I know he knows" deals.
    Those are my thoughts, too. There's something to why Dumbledore trusts him so damn much. From the very first time I read "...Stone" I liked Snape and have always felt that he isn't nearly as bad as he's "portrayed".

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    - The big question will be "who is R.A.B.?"
    Wasn't Sirius Black's brother a Death Eater named Remus? I think it may be him. Maybe he wasn't really a Death Eater after all.

I think Dumbeldore is dead, but Snape killed him at Dumbledore's request. I think that Snape didn't want to.

I think that in order to teach at Hogwarts Dumbledore made Snape make the Unbreakable Vow.

Dumbledore may have asked him the following questions:

1. Will you protect Harry Potter from serious harm or death at all costs? (check the first book where he saves him during Quiditch) (This would mean Snape had to spend the rest of his life making up from his role in Harry's parent's deaths)
    2. Will you act as a supporter of Voldemort at all costs unless it means seriously harming or killing Harry Potter?
    3. Will you kill me if necessary in order to convince Voldemort you are loyal (so that he will be shocked when you turn on him to save him?)

I am sad Dumbledore is dead. He was my favorite character. I always expected him to die, though in the seventh book. Luke can't become the hero he needs to be unless Obi-wan and Yoda can no longer help him.

I do hope that Harry goes back to school next year though. I think it would be really weird if he didn't. What would the cover say "Year 7, away from Hogwarts". Maybe he'll get a letter from Dumbledore telling him to "complete his training". Maybe Dumbledore's portrait will. Maybe the Weasleys or Lupin will convince Harry he CAN'T just run off after Voldemort by himself.

I really want him to be at school. Even if it is broken up by chasing the objects with Voldemort's soul in them.

The next book seems like it would be pretty long.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid
    Wasn't Sirius Black's brother a Death Eater named Remus? I think it may be him. Maybe he wasn't really a Death Eater after all.

I think Dumbeldore is dead, but Snape killed him at Dumbledore's request. I think that Snape didn't want to.

I think that in order to teach at Hogwarts Dumbledore made Snape make the Unbreakable Vow.

I am sad Dumbledore is dead. He was my favorite character. I always expected him to die, though in the seventh book. Luke can't become the hero he needs to be unless Obi-wan and Yoda can no longer help him.

I do hope that Harry goes back to school next year though. I think it would be really weird if he didn't. What would the cover say "Year 7, away from Hogwarts". Maybe he'll get a letter from Dumbledore telling him to "complete his training". Maybe Dumbledore's portrait will. Maybe the Weasleys or Lupin will convince Harry he CAN'T just run off after Voldemort by himself.

I really want him to be at school. Even if it is broken up by chasing the objects with Voldemort's soul in them.

The next book seems like it would be pretty long.
    I thought about Black's brother this morning, as I went through the characters' names with R or B in them.

Your Unbreakable Vow theory is interesting, Droid.

Remember that Dumbledore kept reminding Harry that the main weakness of Voldemort is his inability to love, and leaving his friends behind would be a weakness for Harry himself. Therefore, I too hope Mr. Potter realizes that having those he cares about near him is to his own benefit.

I have it on good authority (read: the voices in my head ) that the seventh book will be 1138 pages long and be called Harry Potter and the Seventh Book.