Weekly Review: Millennium Falcon

After a force two week vacation I'm back. Not wanting to waste any let's jump back into the weekly discussion with the Millennium Falcon . The Falcon was first released in 1979 in a SW art box and available until the end of the line in 1985. The ship itself has no major variations, but the box has four. SW art box with SW logo, SW art box with ESB logo, Bespin photo and Tatooine photo. The Falcon features an electronic "Battle Alert" sound, a Jedi training ball, a "space chest" table, gunner's seat with gun, a compartment for smuggling and a cockpit that holds two figures.

Let's face it the Millennium Falcon has to be one of the all time greatest toys. It's just too cool. I think Kenner did a pretty good job at nailing down the major elements of the ship that we saw in the first film. The cockpit is well done. I think four figure would be off kill (that and SW figures don't have knees). The main hold of the ships works as well for the SW scenes as it does for ESB scene (only cockpit for ROTJ). Gunner's seat, training ball, the table all great. Ok the electronics are a little lame, as is the name. "Battle Alert?" What pencil pusher thought that one up? The only criticism I have is the fact that half the ship is empty space. Why and for what reason? None as for as I can tell. Had more of the inter been used we have a triple crown winner on our hands. But instead we have two out of three.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Re: Weekly Review: Millennium Falcon

Wow, I missed a bunch of these reviews.

I loved the Falcon. I played with it to no end. By far one of my favorite toys from childhood. This saw lots of play-time. I believe I had the ESB release of it. I wish I still had it, but lost it in a move along with the Cantina, Tatooine and Hoth playsets. I am glad to have the OTC one, but it can never take the place of the original.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Ahhh, remember when they still made Star Wars ships/playsets like this? Just the coolest. Love the smuggling compartments too.

One complaint, that baby was heavy for a six year old fly around with that single handle thingy.

Sy Snootles lip synchs

Oh this was a toy I just had to have. I got for Xmas in '79 (I think). I remember asking/begging Santa Claus for this one. I had the SW logo box and had it for many years. As my Dad made it into a placemat for soldier battle setups. Had a carpet in my room and you couldn't stand toy soldiers or figures on it very well.

Great toy but, due to the size, it wasn't one that you could carry easily around with you or simulate it flying. I used mostly to recreate the Death Star Escape scene. I really liked the turret gun but I was confused as a kid as in the movie they weren't upside down when they were firing on the Tie Fighters.

I know I've talked about this before, but it just too good a story not to repeat. After I got my Falcon I went about trying to fix the sound, after all what fun is a broken Millennium Falcon? In order to do this I had to open the thing open. I'm never quite sure what I going to find when I open a vintage vehicles for the first, but the cracker jack prize in this one was well worth it. I found a Han Solo type gun in the cockpit area! Great little bonus from the seller (whom I'm sure had no idea). Now I offer joke that Han was smuggling weapons because I found one.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Man, where do I begin? Let me just say briefly that I got the Falcon for Chistmas when I was 7. I had seen the toy in one of the little Kenner flyers that I believe had been given out at the theatre when we went to see the movie for the first time (a while after it had been released, I actually had 3 or 4 figures before I ever saw the movie).

Well come Christmas morning I was delighted to get Han and Leia in my stocking, an X-Wing fighter and a Landspeeder. I was beside myself with glee, cloud 9. After a few minutes of letting me play with my new stuff my Dad said to me "I think you missed a present." Baffled, I looked up and saw him pointing to an area behind his recliner. The box was there, unwrapped, and may have been there the whole time. I was in awe - completely speechless. I couldn't beleve the size of the damned thing . Biggest Christmas surprise ever. I'm sure my parents remember my reaction to this day - I know I'll never forget the faces my kids make when really special things happen.

In the meantime, I managed to destroy that box that was so special to me. We kept it for years, but it kept getting rattier and rattier until finally it was gone. Thanks to these forums, Mabudon reunited me with a Falcon box much like the one I had when I was younger. Coupled with my vintage small-head Han, they make up the most nostalgic 2 pc set of my collection. The vintage Falcon is one of my all-time favourite toys.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

coolest toy ever.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I got the Falcon on my birthday after playing a baseball game that evening (Our sponsor was 'Lark Cigarettes' - that's the late '70s for ya ). I still have my original box.

I remember acting out the movie with the ship and it's features. The odd thing was the chair for the quad cannons. As vader121 noted, having the figure lying upside down was a bit strange. The little slots that allow the chair to slide up and down broke after a while so that was disappointing.

Later on I just displayed the Falcon on the floor with the rest of my vehicles. I often kept my figure guns stashed in the little open storage space between the two forward mandibles. I usually had Chewie tinkering with the ship using the Vehicle Engergizer Maintenance Mini-Rig.

I thought it was a bit overboard that my guys would all pile into a space ship just to go to the next room in the house. So all my ships would be displayed on the floor about the room amid my many playsets. I just used plastic cars (a General Lee & Hazzard Co. Police car no less) to transport my figs from one room to the next.
    Last edited by Ji'dai; 08-19-2005 at 09:21 PM.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

As LS said above, I've mentioned my Falcon story previously, too, but here goes. It was a pricey vehicle for my family, but apparently there was a newspaper ad from some guy trying to pay for college materials by selling his SW stuff. And what high-tech or new-fangled device was his goal to purchase? A Commodore 64 computer! He actually came over to the house and then the Falcon was mine.

I seldom kept the smuggling floor anywhere but on the top lid holder spot, since it allowed more room for figures. I think my cockpit broke off, which was a little easier to put figures inside instead of the open-part-way feature. And for many years mine was the ROJ version, as I lost the sensor dish. It is now completed.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."