Hybrid View

Question NJO questions I want answered!

I started to post this under the Star by Star thread, but it began taking on a life of its own. These are some questions that have popped up in my head at one point or another and have nagged me since.

1) The Vong showed up in the galaxy shortly before Palpatine's rise to power. They seemed very interested in the technology of the planet from Rogue Planet (I forget the name), attacked with an army, and then more or less vanished. Where were they during the interrim?

2) When did Nom Anor enter the galaxy as an undercover operative? He's in Crimson Empire, but seems fairly well established by that point.

3) What is the force that drove the Vong from their galaxy? Will the Republic encounter that force? And will it be friend or foe?

4) What is the alien menace referred to in Vision of the Future? Is it the Vong, or somehow related to the Vong?

5) Why have the Empire, Hapans, Hutts, Correllians, Corporate Sector, Chiss, and even the Ssi-Ruuk been so reluctant to join the battle? The Empire, Hapans, Correllians, and Chiss all showed up for one battle each, then pretty much went home! Think about how illogical this is. It's as if aliens invaded the British Empire at the height of its power, and everyone else ignored it.

6) As Thrawn pointed out elsewhere, why are the Yuuzhan Vong described as being so much like the Yevetha?

7) Is the Force only present in the Star Wars galaxy? If not, why are the Vong immune? (Even Hutts and Toydarians aren't absent from the Force.)

8) Where's Boba Fett? And Dash Rendar, Kyle Katarn, and pretty much every other fringe character?

9) Waru--when first I encountered him in The Crystal Star, he was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard of. But every time I think of it, he seems more like a Vong construct of some sort.

10) Will we get to see the Vong's home galaxy?

11) The Republic seems to have learned of Vong tactics and weapons relatively quickly. (I think Rogue Squadron had learned to deal with dovin basals as early as Vector Prime.) How, then, did an obviously antagonistic force (c'mon, they're wiping out whole planets right and left!) make such an incursion into Republic territory in just less than three years?

12) How will the Shamed Ones play into this war?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

here goes nothing....

1) The Vong showed up in the galaxy shortly before Palpatine's rise to power. They seemed very interested in the technology of the planet from Rogue Planet (I forget the name), attacked with an army, and then more or less vanished. Where were they during the interrim?

Scouting and growing their army.

2) When did Nom Anor enter the galaxy as an undercover operative? He's in Crimson Empire, but seems fairly well established by that point.

Probably around the time of E2.

3) What is the force that drove the Vong from their galaxy? Will the Republic encounter that force? And will it be friend or foe?

Greed.

4) What is the alien menace referred to in Vision of the Future? Is it the Vong, or somehow related to the Vong?

Could be.

5) Why have the Empire, Hapans, Hutts, Correllians, Corporate Sector, Chiss, and even the Ssi-Ruuk been so reluctant to join the battle? The Empire, Hapans, Correllians, and Chiss all showed up for one battle each, then pretty much went home! Think about how illogical this is. It's as if aliens invaded the British Empire at the height of its power, and everyone else ignored it.

Empire is too small, HUtts have no central leadership, Corporate Sector is too out of the way (like Italy and Japan in WW2), CHiss have nothing to worry about, Ssi-Ruuk were soundly defeted and are evil. They could side with the Vong instead.

6) As Thrawn pointed out elsewhere, why are the Yuuzhan Vong described as being so much like the Yevetha?

I emailed Michael P. Kube-McDowell - the author of the black fleeet crisis my concerns a year ago, but he didn't answer.

7) Is the Force only present in the Star Wars galaxy? If not, why are the Vong immune? (Even Hutts and Toydarians aren't absent from the Force.)

Vong evolved from ysalamiri.

8) Where's Boba Fett? And Dash Rendar, Kyle Katarn, and pretty much every other fringe character?

Fett is too old, I thought Dash was dead. Maybe the ohters will have their own stories soon.

9) Waru--when first I encountered him in The Crystal Star, he was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard of. But every time I think of it, he seems more like a Vong construct of some sort.

Waru killed TCS for me. Read it 2x and it is still the worst modern SW book.

10) Will we get to see the Vong's home galaxy?

Doubtful. The Jedi would have to bring the war to them and already have enough problems in their own galaxy.

11) The Republic seems to have learned of Vong tactics and weapons relatively quickly. (I think Rogue Squadron had learned to deal with dovin basals as early as Vector Prime.) How, then, did an obviously antagonistic force (c'mon, they're wiping out whole planets right and left!) make such an incursion into Republic territory in just less than three years?

NR was far too compalcent and corrupt to care. Even in Star By Star the senators just fled coruscant and had no interest in saving it.

12) How will the Shamed Ones play into this war?

Fifth column - they turn against the Vong.
    For my Star Wars TV List go here
    Viddy Well my Malcolm McDowell/Clockwork Orange Tribute site

Re: here goes nothing....

Thanks, Thrawn--you pointed out several things that either hadn't registered with me or that I'd forgotten.

Originally posted by Thrawn

Greed.
    I thought I'd read an off-hand comment in one of the novels that something had chased the Yuuzhan Vong from their galaxy, or that their galaxy was no longer safe for them. I might be mistaken, though.

Waru killed TCS for me. Read it 2x and it is still the worst modern SW book.
    Yeah, it's the worse and probably always will be. This just seems like a way they could explain Waru as something other than a bad dream from Star Trek.

I doubt the Ssi Ruuk would side with the Yuuzhan Vong. Though their strategies of enslaving armies are similar, the Ssi Ruuvi method would be absolutely abhorent to the Vong. Would be interesting to see the results of enteching a Vong, though. . . .
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Wouldn't it be something to see Nom Anor in EPII or even EPIII?

As for the Vong being "Driven from their own Galaxy" I always thought that they were on some religious quest. I seem to remember something about their own Galaxy having troubles. But I thought it had more to do with restricted resources. The Galaxy just wasn't big enough to provide for them all?

Vision of the Future, was a great read. I love all of Zahn's SW novels. I am pretty sure that the threat refered to the Vong invasion, there were a LOT of refrences and lead-ins from both "Specter of the Past" and "Vision of the Future". I consider them to be prequels to Vector Prime.

I think the Vong do exist in the force, just not in the same way as everything from the SW Galaxy. The Jedi just haven't learned how to read them, yet. But Anakin was close.
    May the force be with you.

Question

I'll try and take a SW influences perspective, so this may be quite "out there," if you excuse the pun.

Buddhism has as its goal of enlightenment. What is it that prevents one from achieving enlightenment? Desire. And what is the Yuuzhan Vong desire most? Death and honor. Perhaps such a strong desire for an anti-life (death) goal goes against the "life-based" Force, thereby making them appear blank to those who use the Force. So, if there are Vong who are less obsessed with death, they can help the Jedi to enventually sense them.

Maybe not.

Only thing I want to happen in the NJO is for the authors to Stop killing everyone! Thank you.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Re: Re: here goes nothing....

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    Thanks, Thrawn--you pointed out several things that either hadn't registered with me or that I'd forgotten.
    No problem. I am really into the novels and to a lesser extent the comics. It seems the only thing holding me to SW as I don't hold much hope for the prequels.

It seems the Vong are like the Egyptians - they won't blink without consulting their gods. Maybe their gods told them to invade.

Of course, if you want to get a little close to home, the Vong are like Taliban - they want to kill everyone that isn't like them because they hate them.
    For my Star Wars TV List go here
    Viddy Well my Malcolm McDowell/Clockwork Orange Tribute site