Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are the Prequels in general "light-hearted"?

Something Lucas said on the ROTJ DVD commentary track about the OT got me thinking about this, do any of you guys think the Prequels are in general light-hearted movies? Lucas said it was an important aspect of the OT and that made me think about whether or not the Prequels too are light-hearted. I don't think simply the jokey stuff with Jar Jar or 3PO on Geonosis counts, those are light-hearted but they're more light-hearted asides to more heavy scenes rather than intermixing the light-heartedness into the main scenes and characters themselves.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: Are the Prequels in general "light-hearted"?

I think all 6 movies are light hearted to varying degrees at varying times throughout each film.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    I think all 6 movies are light hearted to varying degrees at varying times throughout each film.
    Nice diplomatic answer

No I say, NO!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Diplomacy or not, it's true.

Anakin and Obi-Wan are wonderful in their lightheartedness. Anakin and Padme manage to pull of several lighthearted scenes. Damn near everything involving Obi-Wan and Jango has a whimsical feel to it, even as one tries to kill the other. Qui-Gon is the king of cool, a real swashbuckler.

These films are underappreciated.

I thought the most lighthearted moment was of course when Obi-Wan left his best friend burning to death while screaming "I HATE YOU" as his face melted!
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Yeah, I couldn't stop laughing during that part either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jek Porky 2002
    I thought the most lighthearted moment was of course when Obi-Wan left his best friend burning to death while screaming "I HATE YOU" as his face melted!
    Great answer!

Anybody else have an opinion on this?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Lucas may have meant that Star Wars (both the OT and now the PT) has a lighter tone than the usual fare in the SciFi genre. Hard core science fiction has long been used as vehicle for tackling controversial subjects or illustrating human foibles. There's often some type of poignant irony or moral to the story. Star Wars is a fun, action-adventure swashbuckler that borrows heavily from the SciFi but it's not bogged down by some underlying message or moral. Though you could argue that the underlying theme in the PT mirrors the current political climate in the US; i.e., sacrificing liberty for security.

Since SciFi is considered "low-brow" literature, it's not really taken seriously; and I think Lucas may have received some flak from SciFi purests for the lighthearted tone in Star Wars. Lucas did make a serious "hard core" SciFi flick with THX-1138 though. That one was interesting to watch, but I'm glad Star Wars was a major departure from that type of SciFi. I don't think I'd be as big a fan today if the Saga hadn't been lighter in tone.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

I don't think that the OT is overall lighthearted, nor is the PT . . . each movie, as has been said, has ups and downs. ROTS and ESB are both pretty damn depressing with (very) few lighthearted moments, and the others vary from light to dark. I wouldn't call the OT lighthearted overall, really. It's tough to make generalizations.

As several people have already said I think each movie has its moments where it is light hearted and moments where its darker. I don't think the prequels are generaly light hearted. While there are certain aspects that 'jump out' from the PT as dealing with the current state of affairs in our world (Cloning for example) There are plenty of examples in the OT of moral/world questions going o: What about the low tech group beating the high tech group? (Ewoks vs. the Empire) or what about man over machine? (Luke switching off his targeting computer)