My recent computer problems

Over the past four weeks I've had some interesting computer problems, I thought I share now that there off (I hope). Fours weeks ago I came home to a desktop that the decided to stop working. It crashed while booting three times in a row. Now this computer is 6 years and has seen a lot of heavy use. I had been think seriously about buying a one and this just pushed me over the edge. So I figured I'd be without my desktop for the week (time to build and ship the new one), no problem I have a laptop I can use.

That was on a Friday. Saturday I grabbed my laptop and installed a system update I had been putting off doing. It got done doing that and then won't finish booting. Not sure what was happening I started a utilities program about 3:30 pm. By 11:00 pm it still hadn't finished running, but had found over 600 bad blocks. So I had to go the next two weeks without any home computer (I the second week I was away camping so it won't have mattered any way).

After getting home from camping I had my shiny new desktop to set up and play. And a lot of work to transfer all my stuff from the old machine to the new. But still no laptop. Last week I found a good deal on the type of laptop I was after. So I spend the weekend moving my files from the old to the new, which went faster because I could use my firewire this time.

Other than a few odds and ends I'm final but to normal with my computing, but few thousand poorer.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Re: My recent computer problems

It's nice to have new toys.

Not that it matters at this point, but you might have tried (and you still could if you don't want to throw away your old machines) installing new hard drives and then loading on the latest OS.

(I hate throwing away old computers. I've still got my first Bondi iMac, but now it's got a 60gb hard drive and OSX.)
    plasticfetish.net

Re: My recent computer problems

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish
    Not that it matters at this point, but you might have tried (and you still could if you don't want to throw away your old machines) installing new hard drives and then loading on the latest OS.
    I really thought about doing that with the laptop. But I wasn't sure that it was worth the time or effort to find and install in a new hard drive in it just to replace the computer in a two (maybe three) years any way. Besides, after I saw the great deal this one mail order place had going I couldn't say no. $1,990 for a 15" 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook, that's pretty good. Yes, I'm a Mac fanatic. The new desktop is a G5.

And like you I hate throwing away computers. But last fall they had a computer recycling fair (for lack of a better term). It was just one day, but they hauled away 4 and half semi loads of computers, monitors, printers and other computer related items. I'm hoping they do it again this year.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane