Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Scientists Discover 10th Planet

Very interesting story here. Looks like we have ourselves another planet in our solar system.
    http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2005...th_Planet.html
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Re: Scientists Discover 10th Planet

Cool.Just goes to show if you look in your own backyard,you'll never know what you find.Hopefully in the coming weeks/months they'll release more information on the planet besides its bigger than Pluto and farthest away.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

I know they found a star wars like planet(3 suns) recently, but didnt they find one last year just after Pluto? If so wouldnt this be #11?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

There was some controversy about whether Pluto should be considered a planet. The family of the discoverer was upset that his contribution to the field was being marginalized if Pluto was no longer thought a planet. But who really cares about those far off planets anyway? I think we should keep any eye on the planets closer to home - I saw a documentary on Cartoon Network about these Martians that have Alludium q-36 Explosive Space Modulators. Frightening stuff!
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Heyo! De been namin' deesa planets after da guds de have, so here'sa da name for dis new-ie one: Heyblibber. Okee-day?

I'm just glad there's good news to present for a change, especially space-related news.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Let's name it Krypton!!

Ok, I know it would never happen (unless I discovered it) but a guy can dream, can't he?
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester

I love this kind of stuff. I just wish we as humans would spend more time and money exploring the mysteries of the galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    but didn't they find one last year just after Pluto? If so wouldnt this be #11?
    I do seem to remember hearing about a simliar discovery some time ago and this planet was originally discovered in 2003 so maybe they're one in the same.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

They have found plenty of "planets" in the solar system that are the size of Pluto. As has been stated above many people want to take Plutos planet status away due to its small size. Most of these are located in Kuiper Belt and are just abnormally large asteriods. They should just keep the Solar System as is and classify these ones as asteriods and not create any new planets because theres really no point in doing so.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KH
    didnt they find one last year just after Pluto? If so wouldnt this be #11?
    There's a line in this NASA article that says "Brown, Trujillo and Rabinowitz first photographed the new planet with the 48-inch Samuel Oschin Telescope on October 31, 2003. However, the object was so far away that its motion was not detected until they reanalyzed the data in January of this year. In the last seven months, the scientists have been studying the planet to better estimate its size and its motions." So the one you refer to is likely the same one that we're talking about here.

Ji'dai, we shouldn't worry too much, the government already has sent an elite team on its way to battle the Martian menace on Planet X, the only known repository of Illudium Phosdex, the shaving cream atom.

By the way, with a thread title like this, I thought it was going to be another "yo momma" thread.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    By the way, with a thread title like this, I thought it was going to be another "yo momma" thread.

Hey man, I don't resort to talking about people's mommas on the net. I will save that for real life.

And I don't care what they name this new planet...I am still calling it Krypton.
    Let's hope this one does not explode