Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down Lucas interview on sw.com... what the?

http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/f...115/index.html (it's an ep 2 story, so small spoilers in it)

Ok, this interview kinda made me burst a blood vessel in my brain because of how frustrating these statements in it were.

It's titled "George Lucas Interview - The Story Comes First" and all I can think is "how does Jar Jar stepping in crap or getting farted on or losing the gungan battle fit into 'the story'?!?".

Then there's this comment by Lucas:
    So the story comes first. And I can't really play it to an audience. I mean the story is what the story is.
    Right, so the Ewoks and Jar Jar weren't pandering to little kids. And if the "story is what the story is", then why did Obi-Wan's part in Ep 1 get turned into this whole new character, Qui-Gon Jinn, only during preproduction? Later, Lucas kinda backs up that action with some other comments, but really, that is a fundamental change.

There's one part where Lucas talks about how much he likes editing, and he thinks that's where the movie comes together for him as a film. For me, Ep 1's weakest point was its editing, so I cannot fathom how Lucas feels he succeeded there when he had to have someone else come in and re-edit the last sequence of the movie.

I dunno, there's more that makes me tear out my hair when I read it, it's like Lucas is totally deluding himself on some things where he says "if you have one bad idea in a film, it really does suck up a lot of your good ideas", the flaw being that he didn't recognize the bad ideas in Ep 1 eating the good ones yet he knows they would, but those above really stick with me. Reading this interview is like being kicked in the head by a very old mule. I hope for Ep 2, Lucas does follow his words there, but I'm still frustrated with Ep 1 because I don't think the story came first.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

To be honest, I feel like shaking Lucas and saying "LOOK WHAT YOU'RE SAYING! LOOK WHAT YOU DID! HOW DO THESE JIVE TOGETHER?!?" because it's frustrating. If I didn't love Star Wars, I could simply walk away like so many others have done, but I do, so I stick and just hope certain mistakes aren't repeated again. Please don't take my comments on this thread as "just another negative whiner", it's not about that, it's actually that part of my hopeful nature saying "why can't this be better? will Lucas learn from his mistakes in time?". I think that's the feeling for many folks who are being called "negative" or "whiners", they have secret hope for something great and it's frustrating to see it not pay off and tarnish that one bright thing.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

All alone except for the clones...

This is from a super secret inside source at the ranch.
    With the incredible success of ESB Lucas suffered a fatal heart attack and died.

Soon after he was replaced...by a C L O N E !
    It all makes sense why he hasn't done anything great since 1981.

The Lucass clone's major weakness is fried chicken and stupid serial movie titles.
    Last edited by Thrawn; 01-15-2002 at 10:55 PM.
    For my Star Wars TV List go here
    Viddy Well my Malcolm McDowell/Clockwork Orange Tribute site

I agree with many of your points, JT. I seem to remember Lucas saying in the "From Star Wars to Jedi" documentary, "A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing."

So, the killer fish sequence in Ep1 was his way of illustrating to us just how boring a storyless special effect can be?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

BTW, Thrawn, shouldn't that be Luucas?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Barada, I've been thinking that for 3 years now - you hit the nail right on the head! It felt to me like Lucas edits takes together and actors' performances with CG junk without any thought as to how these FX are no longer a tool of the story.

Hee hee, I think that'd be "Lucaas".

Once, Twice, Three Times a Lucas...

Actually boys, you ALL have it right... sorta.

During the interview "George" kept excusing himself and they would send in a fresh clone. It was Lucass, Luucas and Lucaas.

"How many people does it take to screw up the STAR WARS saga? Four. The three clones who couldn't get the facts straight and Rick McCallum."
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Filmgoers are doomed if they ever clone Ricky McCallum

Rick McCallum is actually a malformed 5th generation Lucas clone.

Originally posted by Caesar
    Filmgoers are doomed if they ever clone Ricky McCallum

If they ever clone him (why would they clone a worthless person in the first place? anyways) I'd be forced to kill myself if they ever do,1 is enough,more then 1 is plenty!
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious