Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Should Palmeiro be in the HOF?

Today's big news in baseball was the suspension of Rafael Palmeiro for abusing MLB's steroid policy. Just 5 months ago he was part of the testimony to Congress about the epidemic of performance enhancing drugs in the sport. His exact comment on that day where he testified was that he "Never used steroids." Now here we are on August 1st and he is busted for it.
    So my question is, if you had to make the decision on whether or not he would be voted into the HOF, would you let him in despite this? Remember he has 500 HR's and 3000 Hits, and numerous gold gloves for his play over the length of his career. Now that its public knowledge he is on the juice, do you still let him into the HOF?
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Re: Should Palmeiro be in the HOF?

His numbers say "yes", although he was never the best at his position which I think is a key component. I think part of what happens will be based on how this plays out, its hard for me to believe his statement that he "didn't do it on purpose." What I'd really wish could happen is to go back in time and test these guys from 5-10 maybe 15 years ago. If I had to vote one way or the other right now I'd say no.

And for the record I don't think Mark McGuire should be in the HOF. He was a one trick pony, other then his home run numbers his stats pretty much suck. Yeah yeah yeah I know he broke the single season hr record, well so did Rogar Maris (sp?) and he isn't in the HOF.

And add to all that, Jose Canseco is on espn radio as I type this saying that MLB is corrupt and destroys athletes' lives. Is this guy serious? Yeah, it all makes sense now...they have forced these guys to shoot up and use the steroids.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester

I'm gonna stir up a hornets nest here and say if Palmeiro gets in Pete Rose should get in. Rose bet on baseball AFTER he was done playing (I know he did while a manager but you get inducted on your playing performance) while Palmeiro shot up WHILE playing. I personally don't think his numbers are anything stellar either. As for Canseco I used to really like him but now I'm sure he realized that his numbers weren't good enough for the Hall so now he's gonna try and take as many down as he can. At least he hasn't tried to take his brother Ozzie down yet.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Rose should be in the HOF anyway, but that's a whole other thread......

As for Palmeiro, I say put him in. McGuire's gonna be a first-ballot HOF'er, so why not let the rest of 'em in?!

On a much less cynical note, I don't think Palmeiro has the "juiced" numbers that many other players of late have had (Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, etc.). His numbers are built on his longevity in the game, not his super human power or his Flash-like speed. I really do think he's one of the last of a breed of "good guys" in MLB. What did he test positive for, JF96? Since I'm not clear on the recent anti-doping legislation, is it one of the "major" drugs that was under fire or was it a supplement with traces?
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Basically all that is being said right now is that he tested positive for the presence of chemical that violates the anti-steroid rules. He defended himself today by saying he had no idea what was in the supplement he used and he was unaware that it would be a problem.
    Last edited by JetsAndHeels; 08-01-2005 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138
    Rose should be in the HOF anyway

Dang straight.

Quote Originally Posted by JangoFett96
    He defended himself today by saying he had no idea what was in the supplement he used and he was unaware that it would be a problem.
    Ignorance is no excuse. Professional athletes know what kind of scrutiny they are under and should know what they are putting in their bodies. I don't believe him, anyway.

I've never been a big fan of Palmeiro. He has never been the best in the league, or second best for that matter. In fact, I don't think he's finished in the top 4 in MVP voting in his career. I think his numbers are a result of longevity and steroids. Canseco may be scum, but I believe he ratted out Palmeiro in his book. Hopefully, the Hall of Fame voters will see that he has cheated and not vote him in. You know a lot of those HOF'ers whose records are being broken have to be getting ticked off at the current players who have cheated.

I'm sure it's not related, but Bonds just happened to say he probably won't be back this season. Yeah, right.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Palmeiro has only made the all star team 4 times in his career, and when he did he was not a starter. However his 500+ homeruns and 3000 hits are probably the stats that will put him in the HOF (according to espn tonight on sportscenter).
    Rogue II, you are 100% correct about ignorance not being an excuse. These guys know exactly what they are doing and what is in the drugs they use. Also Palmeiro has some big trouble now because he lied under oath to congress and he may have to answer for that too.

I say no. I have never been a huge Palmerio fan, and never thought he should be in the HOF. This cinches it for me. The next thing you are gonna see is that baseball is racial profiling since all the guys who have gotten busted for roids are hispanic.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I dont think its been "all" hispanics, but i do remember reading something about them being the majority.

I really dont know much about Palmeiro or his stats so its hard for me to say. But i do think him testing positive for some type of juice will taint his career and how its viewed later on.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay