Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mega Bloks new knight 4.5" action figures!

They're a Mega Bloks product, but they're not a building-brick concept, instead they're 4.5-inch "Mag Warriors", kick-*** knight figures whose necks, shoulders, and hips are held together using a magnet system. And not only are they fantasy knights with magnetic joints, but each one also has light-up eyes. They were $6 each at Target, they only had Battle Scorch and Hawkblade but they're the ones that look the best anyway I think. I hope folks don't overlook them because they're on the building brick aisle with other Mega Bloks figures, each Mag Warrior does have a building stud here and there, but they're definitely action figures and not building brick guys.

Each figure comes in a clear carry-case box with a chrome lid, surprisingly attractive design. The tray shows off the figures pretty well, you can see the nice sculpting and the accessories and whatnot with ease - the figs each have removable magnetic shoulderpads, a big weapon, and a big shield. The figure is well articulated because the magnetic stumps stick out enough to allow the mangetic limbs a lot of range of motion, the magnetic limbs have rubber grommets which keep them from flopping about (the neck and shoulderpads don't have the rubber but they hold ok and other pieces keep them in check); also, the elbows and knees are standard hinges and the wrists and ankles are standarded limited-range ball joints. The bottoms of the feet are magnetic so the figs can use their included metal collector cards as stands. Oh, and as if that weren't cool enough, when you press the tops of the heads the figures' "eyes" light up inside the helmets with red LEDs, it looks cool but is really more of a bonus feature to fantastic figures than a main reason to buy these.

Here's the figures.com news article and photo gallery of 'em:
    http://www.figures.com/databases/act...show_article=5

Here's the Mega Bloks product page about them: http://megabloks.com/en/products/br...subCat=27&lId=0

Anyway, check 'em out, they're very satisfying and cool figures. I'll have an expanded review of 'em up on figures.com as soon as Jeff finishes the editing.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: Mega Bloks new knight 4.5" action figures!

I caught a glace of these aswell the other day at target. I don't collect mega blocks anything but these were bad a*s looking. I will probobly pick up a set just for the hell of it.

I saw a couple of these figures at K-Mart today. They do look pretty good but I'm not really in to medieval figures. Now if Mega Bloks makes some Pyrates Mag Warriors I might be tempted.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Here's my review on figures.com, Jeff added those photos and turned it into a fantastic-looking article: http://www.figures.com/databases/act...show_article=6

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Spoon
    I don't collect mega blocks anything but these were bad a*s looking. I will probobly pick up a set just for the hell of it.
    That's me too, I don't collect Mega Bloks, I have a dragon and a humvee but that's about it, but these were a "get 'em because they look great" thing and it was very rewarding, haven't had that since Hasbro's Xevoz line I think.

Ji'dai, that's a great idea, their new Pyrates line is really looking great but are only minifigs, 4.5" pirates would be awesome, plus then you could mix-n-match with the knights that are already out.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Looks like Mega Bloks has some competition. RoseArt has a line of light-up magnetic figures to go along with their MAGNETIX brand. I saw both lines side by side at Wal-Mart today. The RoseArt figs aren't as neat as the Mega Blocks figs though and stand a head taller.

The Mega Bloks Pyrates ships have arrived too. Still not as good as original LEGO Pirates line though.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

I dunno, the Lego pirates line was good for what it was, pirate themed sets from building bricks, but Mega Bloks' new Pyrates line is more toyetic instead of themed around the brick and I feel it opens up a lot of different, exciting avenues that the Lego ones never did.

Roseart is the worst in my mind, their crayons never get much color on the page, just a lot of clearish wax mainly, and their magnet toys aren't as strong as anybody else's. Still, I'll keep an eye out for them. What's the theme on those figs?

exciting avenues... The emphasis is on play rather than construction; nurturing this MTV generation and their short attention spans. If I was buying for children of my own I'd go with Fisher Price or in a pinch Playmobil before I'd buy Mega Bloks product.

IRC, the MAGNETIX figures were also medieval/knight figures. RoseArt doesn't bring to mind quality, no doubt, especially with toys. I always used Crayolas so I don't know about RoseArt's craft/hobby activity stuff.

It's just a different thing, not every toy is LEGO. We don't build our Hasbro Star Wars toys either, does that mean it's an MTV Generation failing? The LEGO Pirates theme was quite keen, but it never was going to have the aesthetic of something like the Mega Bloks Pyrates line. Mega B knows they can't beat LEGO on the building brick aspect but incorporating it into a more traditional toy is something LEGO won't do so I don't fault Mega B for that (unlike so many of the *other* things I fault them for ).

Stupid Roseart! Couldn't even get their own theme?!? They could have beat Mega B to the punch with a space theme (can you say Micronauts boys and girls? ) but instead chose to be the sleaziest of the bunch yet again - and that's saying something in a conversation about Mega Bloks.

I wouldn't include Hasbro SW toys in the building/construction toy category so I don't compare them to LEGO or MB. I think Hasbro captures the film likeness and overall aethestic of a character or vehicle better than the LEGO versions, but that is an unfair comparison in my mind. Hasbro toys may require assembly before (dis)play, but I don't consider that process to be comparable to building a LEGO set. LEGO emphasizes building the toy just as much if not more than playing with it.

MB seems to be moving away from construction with Dragons and Pyrates, but the building element is still there. Since Mega Bloks is still in the construction category, I'll continue to compare them to other building toys such as LEGO. MB is obviously pumping a lot of money into their packaging, which I'll admit is beautiful, but when I look at the toy itself with a discriminating eye, I still see a quality disparity there compared to other brands.

As far as the RoseArt/MB competition, I think MB is the one intruding on RoseArt's market. RA has had magnet toys in stores for awhile, but MB's Magnet Warriors are new ground for them. Maybe MB got wind that RoseArt was going to branch into magnetic figures so they started their own line.

I doubt it, I saw those Roseart figures on Friday, they're really poorly done, very weak sculpts and cheap-looking translucent plastic for the whole body. They do have more magnets but there's no care in making the magnet joints look even halfway decent. Paint is lacking too, and packaging is standard Roseart butt-quality. And they're $10 a pop! Plus, it's not like Roseart created magnetic building toys, they're just ripping off the recent Geomag line; and magnetic figures were out 25 years ago with Micronauts.

BTW, the Roseart figures, there are 8, are in different themes, 1 is ancient warriors like a knight, samurai, gladiator, and viking (they're also robots, you can see robotic designs in there); the other is robots of varying futuristic elements.