Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Variant Snootles?

I recently bought a loose Sy Snootles in a collectors' shop in Chicago, with the intention of building up the Rebo band bit by bit. In the end, I bought the whole set complete, but when I received it, I noticed a difference in my two Sys... the first one I got has red toenails and fingernails, whereas the second one has unpainted digits. I've looked at several more on ebay, and none have painted nails, and I can find no mention of such a variant in any of my refernce books. Does anybody know if this is a bona fide variant? And is it rare? Or has someone customised it?

Re: Variant Snootles?

My Kenner Sy Snootles (which I've had since I bought the Max Rebo Band set at retail in the 80s) has unpainted nails. Just some ruby lips

I'm guessing that your Sy with red nails is an after-market custom.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

I've just got a niggle in the back of my mind that I have heard about a variant somewhere..... and it doesn't feel like a custom job.... the red nails match perfectly with the lips, like they were all painted at the same time, and the lips on both my figures also look the same, so I'm pretty sure they've not been repainted.

You could be right! I've never seen a Sy with painted nails but that doesn't mean Kenner didn't make 'em.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

sebilba could you post of a photo of your Sy? I don't know as much about variations as others do, but seeing a photo helps generate opinions.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Ok, here's a pic... hope it helps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sy.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	11948  

I'm no expert, nor have I heard of a red-nailed Sy, but that pic looks like a custom job to me. Too much red, more of a finger or toe paint, rather than just the nails.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

The only variation i can think of with these guys is the the microphone stands and Droopy's flute. They all came out in either black or silver plastic.
    Last edited by evenflow; 08-10-2005 at 07:25 AM.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Quote Originally Posted by evenflow
    The only custom i can think of with these guys is the the microphone stands and Droopy's flute. They all came out in either black or silver plastic.
    Do you mean variation?

After looking at that the picture I incline to say it's also a custom. But a cool looking custom. It's hard to tell, but paint job looks too sloppy to be a real variation. That's my two cents worth.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I'm unfortunately gonna have to concur with the rest of these guys and say custom. If you like it and it's worth something to you then that's all that really matters isn't it?
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!