Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Bigger Picture of Anakin

I appreciate the PT on many levels; I for one always wanted to see the backstory. But there is something I would have liked to see: some "cut" scenes from the DVDs in the original release. Important scenes I thought could have been left in....kind of like Sauraman's death in Return of the King....

Let me 'splain.

After seeing the cut fight between Skywalker and Greedo in TPM, I thought, "what a great forshadow of Annakin's dark temper....and Greedo getting iced the next time we see him." Plus it makes you wonder what would Anakin's training been like under a more "seasoned" Jedi like Qui-gon (big fan of the Jin)...

All the cut scenes with Padme's family/Anakin in AOTC were much more interesting "dramatically." Plus the "love" dialoge was much more natural than the awkward fire-side "chat" the lovers exchanged in the released film....

Finally: I'm hoping the ROTS DVD shows Jin talking to Yoda....unrelated to Anakin.

*On a side-note: can anyone confirm if the Tuscan Raider attack was supposed to be longer in AOTC? I'm glad ROTS was rated PG-13 and think the other two could have used those ratings to "give-us-more." After all, the OT would probably have been rated PG13 if done today....
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Re: A Bigger Picture of Anakin

I'd then be mad that stuff wasn't in the theater release. I think it was lame that we never saw Sauraman in ROTK. I don't like the idea of having a major plot point not be in the theater release but planning on it being on the home version aka Sauraman. Although the Padme family stuff from AOTC would be a great add on, some things are cut to keep the movie at a certain length etc. Yeah its a fine line I'm walking here I know.

As for the Tuscan Raider attack, I'm not really sure the point of it being longer other then seeing Anakin destory the camp?

To my knowledge there is no additional Tusken Carnage.

I can't agree with the Greedo scene, I hate that one because, well, it's Greedo.

I do like the stuff with Padme's family but since it was cut in the first place, I guess I'm just glad it is available on the DVD.

I don't feel that the Padme scene is despratly needed in the final cut, it's nice that we have it on the DVD though.

The Anakin/Greedo scene would actually fit well in the final cut of TPM as Qui Long explained. Very good point!
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Jek Porky 2002
    I don't feel that the Padme scene is despratly needed in the final cut, it's nice that we have it on the DVD though.

The Anakin/Greedo scene would actually fit well in the final cut of TPM as Qui Long explained. Very good point!
    I'd take the Anakin/Greedo scene if I could swap out the extra stuff that was added to the podrace sequence.

I think the biggest disappointment in the PT was the lack of teh Tusken slaughter scene. When that part of the screenplay leaked I was so phyched to see it. Then when it came to that part in the movie I got a sick feeling in my stomach. I mean honestly this had the potential to be one of the best non-chase action sequences in modern movie history.

I don't really see how it would be that great of a scene. Anakin with his saber would just tear though the camp, gaffi sticks and blasters wouldn't have been much of a match for his saber skills. I think what was showed pretty much set the scene for me. Although I will say I'll check it out from the novel since I don't remember how it was presented.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    I don't really see how it would be that great of a scene. Anakin with his saber would just tear though the camp, gaffi sticks and blasters wouldn't have been much of a match for his saber skills. I think what was showed pretty much set the scene for me. Although I will say I'll check it out from the novel since I don't remember how it was presented.
    I think the argument for an extended slaughter scene is that it would have shown much more of the (inevitable) dark chaos slowly consuming Skywalker....it wouldn't be a "great scene" in that you see Tuscan's slaughtered, but rather a great scene in that it would visually rattle notions of hero Anakin. This is why I like th animated Clone Wars so much...because Anakin is MUCH edgier and volatile...

The prequels called for a darker visual and narrative tone than Lucas was willing to "explore" in TPM and AOTC....something he embraced readily in ROTS. These little scenes, inconsequential perhaps to some, are/were potential choices that I feel (my opinion) would have made the over all PT stronger and raised the stakes of Luke's confrontation with this Father in ESB and ROTJ all the more...

But alas, in the end Lucas cut what he wanted. At least the PT had some good moments in each of the films....I just think a grittier look to the first two prequals would have been better for the overall 3 prequels, and 6 episodes....perhaps that is for another thread....
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    I'd take the Anakin/Greedo scene if I could swap out the extra stuff that was added to the podrace sequence.
    Amen to that statement.

What bugs me the most is some of the scenes not on screen in Episode III. One major scene come to mind.

1. Padme meeting with Mon Mothma, Antillies, Meenas, and a couple others. I mean it's the creation of the Rebel Alliance and it was in my mind the most pivitol reasoning for Anakin turning. Padme is secretly meeting with these guys who are talking about overthrowing Palpy. She does not tell her husband. Palpatine tells Anakin about these meetings, and Anakin goes home and asks Padme - "Was Obi-Wan here?" She says yes, and he's thinking they are lying to him, and he can only trust Palpy. This scene also establishes how Anakin can hate the Rebellion and the Jedi because he sees them as disloyal citizens and two-faced. I think more people would have better understood Anakin's crazed point of view when he choked Padme if they kept these scenes in the film.
    After 11 months The BEST/WORST figure poll is still going strong.

Antilles and Meenas are not in that scene.