Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I agree they just don't seem as good as the X-Wing and such,but I will buy them anyway and be glad I did.

Oh for sure, I'll certainly buy the vehicle in toy version cuz it'll look good with the other fighters hanging from my ceiling. But as far as the films go it seems pretty silly. Seems to lack that certain something that made the OT so rock hard special. Bring back ralph McQuarrie and Joe Johnston that's what I say.

Amen,Emperor Jargo.I think you hit it on the first try.We need them back.

Jargo, RIGHT ON! Nothing personal Doug Chiang, but there's a reason even you worship Ralph McQuarrie, it's because he's BETTER THAN YOU ARE!!! Joe and Ralph, they really made Star Wars great. I personally am a big fan of Ralph McQuarrie's work, I think it's the most alive stuff I've ever seen on paper.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I don't neccesarily think that Ralph is the best artist that ever lived but he seemed to encpsulate the feelings of the movies in his paintings without trying too hard to push a particular design. Chiang seems to be more technical and his art has a samey samey look like a single idea he keeps pushing forward because he wants to see it used right now. take a look at his robota or robotica or whatever he calls his pet project. It's all the rejected EP1 and EP2 designs or it's his old art that he recycled for the star wars movies. Either way he aint that original. Ralph didn't have a theme he kept re-using, he had favoured shapes and lines to his images but he never over stressed the point. he seemed to let the design grow as he painted which is why his art has warmth that Chiangs lacks.

I remember Ralph's "Jedi" pre-production artwork being published a while before the film was released. I guess they were pretty "spoiler-rich", but they sure got me longing for the films release.

You're right Jargo (and JT)... Doug's pictures don't quite reach those levels, almost to the point of being a little sterile.

The Jedi Starfighter on the other hand is kinda cool, lets see what it can do before we make a complete judgment.
    [FONT=garamond]'Eternity is very long... especially towards the end.' - Woody Allen[/FONT]

Oh, I don't think McQuarrie is the best artist in the world either, but you totally nailed why Chiang's work is a big step down from Ralph's. McQ's work comes alive, I cannot think of a sci-fi painting I've seen of his that wasn't "alive", he manages to capture action, even when it's passive, all while keeping a rich, textured environment.

Doug's work does indeed feel very one-note, though some of his passive paintings for Ep 1 did come alive for me too. Unfortunately, not all or even most of them, and I think the film's feel reflects this.

BenQuad, IIRC, the Jedi Starfighter wasn't directly designed by Chiang, he only oversaw it.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

BenQuad, IIRC, the Jedi Starfighter wasn't directly designed by Chiang, he only oversaw it.
    Ok JT the starfighter may not have been designed by Chiang, but most of the pre-production artwork we have seen so far has all been done in a similar style. Almost as though Doug has said "this is the way I draw - you guys draw the same".

I wonder how many people were actually responsible for the starfighter?
    [FONT=garamond]'Eternity is very long... especially towards the end.' - Woody Allen[/FONT]

I think we like the old ships because they were different and yet somewhat familiar. (with the exception of the Falcon).

We need to have that again. The Naboo fighter is the y-wing turned around and slimmed down. The jedi starfighter is too much like the Star Destroyer and even the counselor ship from EP1 was too familiar (Although I did like that one) The problem I think that they are facing is that the "new ships of Ep2 and Ep3 have to look older and less advanced as the X, A, B, and Y wings.

This is a little hard considering that they already botched that up with the naboo fighter (its sleek and curving body) as oppossed to the squarish confines of the Y+X wings.

All of you should try coming up with a "new starfighter and see where you end up at.

If you think yours is good enough for our scrutiny post it here and let us be the judge.

Then, only then will you see.......

Yeah but maybe the Naboo fighter harkens back to a more civilised time......