Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What was up with the original version of Mama's Family ?

I have fond memories of watching this show as a kid, I thought it was funny. When I watched it though, they had Bubba the nephew as well as the neighbor Iola and after awhile when the rereuns started over they had some different characters, namely Vint's kids Buzz and Sonja.

So I always wondered WTF was up with that and why did they retool it like they did ? I don't know which one was more critically lauded, probably the first one since that was spun off from the Carol Burnett show.

Well, I did some inquiring and I figured out that the early stuff was a network program and once it got cancelled and moved into a syndicated program, that's when they sliced and diced and added the new characters. From what I've read though, they didn't really explain "why" Buzz and Sonja weren't there anymore and why Iola was moved in and suddenly Mama's best friend, I guess people were just supposed to fill in their own gaps there.

So which version of the show did you prefer ? I'm going with the later years, because like I said earlier that's when I became a fan of the show.

Vint sure had some classic moments, like the time he "invented" the Pet Lock as opposed to the Pet Rock (he was a locksmith as you'll recall) and also the time he matched the winning lottery numbers but did so using all 6 of his tickets that he bought, what an idiot.

And Vicki Lawrence was kind of hot back in the day, not as Mama of course but out of costume. :lipsrseal

Re: What was up with the original version of Mama's Family ?

I personally loved the later years. I, as a matter of fact, just watched an episode or 7 or it the other day. Still a funny show.

Favorite Vinton moment: When he installs the intercomm in the house and talks into it saying "intercomm, intercomm". Classic.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

HA! "Mama's Family" is awesome!

I, too, like the "later" years better. I never liked Buzz or Sonya. I was never a big fan of Bubba, but he seemed to work better. To me his schtick wore thin. The only thing going for him was his mullet.

Since I have nothing better to, I thought I'd put up pictures of both casts.

Oddly enough, I did a Google imge search for the pics below and San Francisco Leather Pride Contingent came up. WTF?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kenmfam.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	12010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mamasfamily_cast_240x260_053020041834.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	12011  
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Caesar you never cease to amaze me with how crusty of a thread you can begin. I haven't watched Mama's Family in a long loooong time, I liked it as a kid is it on Nick at Night or something?

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    Is it on Nick at Night or something?
    I think I watch it on TBS. It's either that or WGN.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

The second one kicked all sorts of butt.

Favorite episode: Mama and Iola take down the Courteous Crook! Hooray for Mama!
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 08-17-2005 at 12:28 PM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter

Favorite episode: Mama and Iola take down the Courteous Crook! Hooray for Mama!
    Great episode! He was even nice enough to put the toilet paper on the roll so it came over the top. Swell guy.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Yes I also loved this show. I also loved the Golden Girls. They were so well written and hysterical. Howver my mom said she could not stand Mama. The sassiness was too much for her. But I was not even aware of the earlier version of the show till I saw this thread.
    Last edited by scruffziller; 08-31-2005 at 02:40 PM.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller
    Yes I also loved this show. I also loved the Golden Girls. They were so well written and hysterical. Howver my mom said she could not stand Mama. The sassiness was too much for her. But I was not even aware of the earlier version of the show till I saw this thread.
    Ohh jeez don't get Caesar started on the Golden Girls, we won't be able to shut him up.

Indeed, GG was a FANTASTIC show and I love it. Scruff said it exactly right, it was all about the writing. What a wonderful program. I'm not kidding. It really deserves its own thread.

Did you guys ever find Naomi from Mama's Family to be hot ? I didn't. I mean, I can see how an old dog like Vint would be gaga over her since she was younger and always put out, but the top pulled down past the shoulders was always such a turnoff to me. And that voice. Here she is earlier this year with Fran Drescher and check out what Bubba's been up to, IMDb shows this current pic. I see he and I share a birthday. I'll have to send him a card next year. And a pair of suspenders.